Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,287   Posts: 1,535,334   Online: 845

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Special dryer needed for RC?... or drum dry is OK?

I have only used FB papers, never used RC at all. My son loves RC as he used it in college. The school had a special dryer he said for RC... so I was wondering if can I use my drum dryer to dry RC prints? or do I need a special dryer?... any recomendations or know anyone selling a used one cheap?

Images
    Air drying is quick and easy. Just squeegee off the surface water and hang them by the corner. I have a wire rack made for the purpose that holds the prints separately, edgewise in a small space.
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Images
    I just dry my RC prints face up on a bath towel. When I was in school we did them face up on elevated screens with fans blowing on them.
    hi!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I think a drum dryer would get too hot for RC. RC dryers are usually forced air, but you can also just let them dry naturally.

For lots of little prints (like those APUG postcards), I like those rubberized letter holders you can get from an office supply.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    air dry is fine if you are only working on a few prints at a time. What about trying to dry 30 prints in a session? My son tells me his college has some sort of a machine you feed the print into, then it comes out hot on the other side nice and dry in no time at all.

Has anyone heard of such a machine? I really don't want prints hanging and racks or blotters.

DKT

Quote Originally Posted by paul ron
    air dry is fine if you are only working on a few prints at a time. What about trying to dry 30 prints in a session? My son tells me his college has some sort of a machine you feed the print into, then it comes out hot on the other side nice and dry in no time at all.

Has anyone heard of such a machine? I really don't want prints hanging and racks or blotters.

they exist--would either be a forced hot air dryer, or an infrared dryer. rather expensive new, even used....The cheapest are nothing more than semi-enclosed racks similar to what you'd dry a fiber print on, yet they'll have a heated blower. Premier makes one like this, Zone VI has one also.

Most common models use a series of rollers--many start with soft foam rollers to squeegee the print. then they may move to a "socked" roller--another absorbent type roller, and then are carried under/over heated coils. A blower is usually involved as well, and you can vary the heat & speed of the dryer. Jobo, Regal/Arkay, California Stainless, Calumet etc all offer variations on this. The infrared dryers are similar, but usually more compact. They move the print through rollers, but pass under a set of infrared heating elements (one I use has a set of glass rods, with the element inside) that are within a mirrored type housing. It pretty much bakes the print dry in no time at all, and imparts a gloss that beats all air-drying and gives you a great max black. I also use an Arkay RC1100 dryer, which works great, but not as fast as the IR dryer. Takes about 15-20 sec. to dry a print whereas the IR is like 10 sec.

You might be able to find one used, but it needs to be clean. It'd be much cheaper to use a clothesline, or a screen.....it only takes about 5 minutes to air dry an RC print.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    30 prints in a session quite easy and there is a cheap alternative. I throw mine against the tiled wall face out where they stick. To help them dry I have a wooden straight edge with a car-wiper rubber stuck to it, which I use to wipe off the excess water in one stroke. Before I put them away I give them a quick blast with a hair dryer. Bit Heath Robinson but it works for me
    Last edited by TPPhotog; 09-10-2004 at 07:29 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: My usual lousy spelling :(

Shooter
    Medium Format

THANKS!

I saw the prices of these dryers and almost dropped dead. I see why everyone is air drying now. I'll slap em on the walls, hang em on my clothes line in the backyard, blotter em, throw my kid out... that'll be even cheaper.

Thanks everyone for the good advice... squeegie man here I come.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use the plastic coated paper sorter from an office supplier too. Holds about 12 prints (up to 8x10). For bigger prints I stand them up against walls in the bathroom or powder-room (a dunny with a hand basin.. not wanting to sound too posh!) but that's ok cause if I'm printing bigger then I won't be churning out so many prints

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I remember waaaay back in school, we had this real nice, and very huge drum dryer. Someone (not me) put some RC paper through it and melted the RC surface to the drum - made one HELL of a mess. The drum was so screwed up, it had to be replaced.
    Bob Fowler
    fowler@verizon.net
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin