Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,212   Posts: 1,532,041   Online: 1182

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Images

Meopta Opemus 5 starter question

I want to do 6x4.5 B&W enlargements and am thinking about an Opemus 5. They look well-made. I cannot find any operating manuals online. The pdf manual(s) linked to in previous answers to Opemus 5 questions on this board have all disappeared. My three starter questions:

1. I assume that the B&W version uses a condenser head. Is this correct? Double or single , condenser is important for me.

2. What is the largest I can go with this enlarger? I need 16 x 20 in.

3. Is there a tray for filters in case I decide to go multi-grade?

Many thanks

S

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Mr.datsun:
    I have a Meopta Opemus 6, condenser one. It is designed to print no bigger than 12x16, with both 35mm and 120 films.
    I am almost a hundred percent sure than a Meopta Opemus 5 only works with 35mm, and it will not print bigger than 12x16.
    Both models have a tray for filters.
    I have to say that the Meopta Opemus 6 is an excellent enlarger. I recommend it instead of the Meopta Opemus 5. However, you will not be able to print bigger than 12x16 with these models.
    I hope it has been helpful.
    Henry.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Opemus 5 goes up to 6x6, the simplest configuration is yes, condenser. There is tray for filters, and there is Meograde VC head available as well.
    To achieve bigger enlargements you can turn the head 90deg and project horizontally.

The weakest part of Opemus 5 is lens board. It has such a small diameter that it is quite impossible to fit any decent lens there. El-Nikkor 50/2.8 for example.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by werra View Post
    To achieve bigger enlargements you can turn the head 90deg and project horizontally.
    On my Opemus 5 (now in storage and no longer in use) you can also turn the column around to allow projection onto (say) the floor - just remember to put a counter-weight on the baseboard!

The weakest part of Opemus 5 is lens board. It has such a small diameter that it is quite impossible to fit any decent lens there. El-Nikkor 50/2.8 for example.
    Agreed - however the opemus lensboard with its 39mm Leica thread does make a nice retaining ring for holding lenses onto the lensboard of my D2V!

OP - if you still need a pdf copy of the manual then PM me - I may still have one floating around somewhere.

Cheers

Carey Bird
    http://members.iinet.net.au/~cbird/index.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have to disagree with Werra on one point - I had no trouble adapting my Opemus 5 lensboard to an EL Nikkor 50/2.8 : a quick trip to a machinist provided the hole- the concave shaped lensboard needs to installed with the concave side upwards.
    My condenser model (2 lenses) had no filter drawer -I think they were an optional accessory, so check before you buy.
    The enlarger is easily swivelled on the baseboard for projecting down to the floor,and the head can be turned to the side for horizontal projection - so no restriction on enlargement size.
    Certainly capable of handling 6x6 ; the AXOMAT is the 35mm version.
    Excellent,well made machines,I can recommend them. The earlier versions are also worth considering :the functionality is very similar,but the cosmetics changed over the years.

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Images
    OK. Thanks for the many replies. Some conflicting opinions there and I will try and reply to them in one post:

Smudger>
    So it seems that it is going to have double condenser which is a good start.

Henry, Werra and Smudger>
    The filter drawer option seems to be vague – if an option but where would it go and if not can non-filter drawer enlargers be adapted? I have never used multigrade before?

Seabird, Henry>
    If it can be rotated then I can graduate on up to large prints but that column is slanting inwards? Would the whole base mount need to be unscrewed and re-fitted? Seabird, yes, I'd love a PDF of the manual and will pm you.

The model I am looking at has a 35mm neg guide but has 6x6 glass and I think I can get a 645 guide from a UK darkroom suppliers that is made for the No. 6 version (hopefully fits but will check).

Lastly I heard that there is a 39mm and 24mm lens board with the one I am looking at. I favour a Componon S 80mm which has m39 fitting – am I correct in thinking that m39 means it will fit the 39mm lens board
    --------------
    STOP PRESS
    Just found this:
    http://www.meoptahistory.com/?id=312

It confirms double 105cm condenser but makes no mention of filter drawer.
    They say that it only enlarges by 6.2x. This seems a little small. 6.2 x 6x4.5cm = 37.2 x 29.9 cm = 14 x 10 ins. Is this kind of size (without swivelling) normal for medium format enlargers?

I'm also beginning to get the idea that there were 'a' or standard models. It seems that the a of the No. 6 has a longer column.
    Last edited by mr.datsun; 02-20-2011 at 07:03 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: new info

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Mr.Datsun :the maximum enlargement size is always given as "on the baseboard". Trust me,if you swivel or swing you will be able to make enlargements of any size.
    The filter drawer option I have seen was just a simple metal collar with a slide out drawer which slipped into place below the lamphouse - I'm sure you could fabricate something to suit.Or there is the option of under-lens M/G filters -if they are clean there are no quality problems.
    The inclined column actually works in your favour - the bottom mount is designed to swivel, so this puts the enlarger head out a distance from the edge of the bench.
    In my opinion,the Meopta neg carrier is the strong point of this brand - far superior to many more expensive machines. The 35mm and glass inserts are held in place by spring loaded tabs,and just slide out.
    If you put the glass in the top position,and the mask (which could just be a piece of stiff card) in the bottom of the carrier,you would have an excellent setup for your 645 negs. And Meopta have installed a unique neat little split-image focus aid in their carriers which can be very handy..
    All will become clear when you read that PDF-which "Seabird" has,not me.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Smudger View Post
    I had no trouble adapting my Opemus 5 lensboard to an EL Nikkor 50/2.8 : a quick trip to a machinist provided the hole- the concave shaped lensboard needs to installed with the concave side upwards.
    Yes, a quick trip to a machinist to make a new lens board will do the trick of course. But what if you don't have a machinist available?
    The original concave lensboard has very narrow inner diameter and only a few threads as well. So you need to shim the lenses that don't have threading all the way to mounting surface.
    Small, but annoying points.

I used my Opemus with selfmade flat lens board and Helios taking lens from Zenit for some time. Much more light than with original 4.5-something triplet.

tih
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Go here: http://www.meopta.com/CCE/DownloadFileList/ and click "Discontinued Product Manual". You'll find a scan of the English language Opemus 5 manual, among others. (And there is, indeed, a filter drawer.)

-tih

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Images
    Hi Smudger,

thank-you for your detailed reply. You have convinced me. Everything looks good to go and I'm going to try and get it.

D

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin