Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,231   Posts: 1,532,880   Online: 1035

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Are speed easels also borderless?

Ok, I'm trying to do some borderless prints so I can use precut (less expensive) matts. I have speed easels in various sizes, I know if you put the paper in the chnnels it creates a border (duh), but there seems to be an angle of metal on top of short sides that look borderless easel-ish. When I set a piece of paper in it, it seems about 1/4-1/8 of an inch too short. I've never used a borderless easel so I don't really know if that's right, if the short metal angle got a little bent and needs to be bent back, or if it serves some other purpose entirely. If anyone has any experience that could help get me pointed in the right direction, it'd be very appreciated!

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Not any I have ever used. Sounds bent to me
    http://www.aclancyphotography.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Hmm, maybe I'm not explaining it well: Here's what it looks like of I try to use a speed esel in borderless easel mode:

Is that right? Is that what those angles are for? (yes it's a RC print)

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    You are inserting your paper wrong. In the picture, insert the paper on the right, UNDER the piece that is bending your paper up.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Some speed easel are made undersized, to allow you to 'pin in' d/w or s/w fibre based paper, which often tend to curl towards the emulsion side.

You may be happier in the long run with either A: a four bladed easel. (No, they usually are not cheap, but can be set to 1/8" borders), or the cheapo B route I outline below

If you are sticking with RC, a flat easel with two edges lets you do 'bled/bleed' printing ( I have heard the term used both ways).

I use a cheapo 9x12 two bladed easel for my bled RC printing efforts, with the adjustable blades removed.

I draw the 5x7, and 8x10 paper sizes on the easel baseboard with a sharpie mearker to aid in composition, since there are no blades to guide you.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    @Tim

I know how to paper *IN* a speed easel, my question is whether or not it's dual purpose. If that's how borderlss printing is supposed to be done. IDK, perhaps I'm not pinning it enough or maybe it's just extra metal.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    DOH!. Haha. Sorry. I misread the 'also' in your title. No I don't think they are supposed to be borderless as well. They are a bit too short like you show. The borderless easels I've seen look different. They have to guides that slide in (like vise jaws) to anchor the paper.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The vertical piece of metal shown in the photo that is holding the paper is actually just to add strength to the border of the frame. If it were not an L shaped piece of metal, it would be flimsy like a metal ruler and would not cast a consistent shadow along the border or would make paper difficult to insert.

I haven't checked for a while, but I suspect most cheap 8x10 cutout mattes are cut small enough to cover the border imparted by a speed eazle. I'm no expert on all the varieties of cheap frames though. I actually don't frame enough stuff, even thought I have the stuff to matte and frame.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jmxphoto View Post
    @Tim

I know how to paper *IN* a speed easel, my question is whether or not it's dual purpose.
    No.
    David
    Taking pictures is easy. Making photographs is hard.

http://www.behance.net/silverdarkroom
    http://silverdarkroom.wordpress.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jp498 View Post
    The vertical piece of metal shown in the photo that is holding the paper is actually just to add strength to the border of the frame.
    That makes perfect sense!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin