Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,895   Posts: 1,520,932   Online: 948

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My unit when new to me had goop like you talk of. I fired it up, cranked the thermstat to high, and once warm gently scraped the thermoset adhesive off with a steel kitchen spatula that had only rounded edges. A surprising amount came off.

Once cool, a rub with a cotton dampened repeatedly with white gas (naptha) done outside while wearing rubber gloves took the rest away.

My release sheet is always between my heated platten and my print for matting. It is a waste release sheet from a cold mount overlay free from a framing shop.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Wow... expensive cleaning paste! Thank you everybody... I'll try what I have around here first and if that doesn't work, I'll bite the bullet and buy the stuff. Why clean? I'm sort of very particular about my equipment. Things that shouldn't be there being there bothers me. So I want to clean it. I'm going to try the gentle method first.

Thanks again.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have the 210, I believe (abt. 16x20). It's an older model. When I got it the platen had a lot of junk stuck to it. I didn't realize it could be so easily removed, so I worked on it fully assembled. I believe I heated it a little first and then *very carefully* used a single-edge razor to shave off some of the gunk - dried glue, I guess, but it was dark and nasty.

Then I used very fine steel wool and a little Bartender's Friend cleanser (Bon Ami would probably work as well) to polish it and clean away any oxidation or stain. Took a few hours overall.

I just used it recently to do a big batch of prints and had no problems with marks - the platen is clean and smooth.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Hall View Post
    And for heavens sake don't sand it!

One can use acetone, a rag, elbow grease, and ventilation.
    May I ask why?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If there are scratches and gouges in the plate, there will be raised edges that will need to be sanded smooth, otherwise they may cause impressions in the prints. If the plate is not damaged, then removal of the goop should not require sanding.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin