Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,901   Posts: 1,584,454   Online: 943

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Cleaning Seal Jumbo 150

Cleaning Seal Jumbo 150

I just acquired a nice hot dry press, Jumbo 150 by Seal. I do need to clean the upper surface (not the very top with a knob and lights but the inner part that comes in contact with prints) of dried up glue (or something).

To me, it looks like just a smooth sheet of aluminum. Is this part coated with anything? The dried up gunk is brittle but stuck well and covers very large area. What's a good way to clean this?

I just don't want any old abrasive in fear I might take off some coating or damage it in some way.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

E76
    Shooter
    Instant Films
    Images
    I wouldn't use the drymount press in direct contact with the print. I've always placed two thick sheets of board above and below the work to be mounted to protect the print and ensure an even distribution of heat. I believe this is also the method recommended by Ansel Adams in The Print.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Right, I won't. I only said that to indicate which surface I was talking about. Question is, how to clean it not how to use it. Thanks though.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I bought a Seal 200 some time ago that had a really nasty looking platen - the plate you're talking about. I removed it & wet sanded it, first with 220, then finer grits down to 600. I finished it up with Dupont Polishing Compound. It took about 4 hours & I now have a like new press.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You can REMOVE this? HOW?

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    There actually used to be a platen cleaner solution you rub on that loosened the old glue. Seal made it and I bought it through a frame supply shop. The platen should come off via the screws that hold it in place from the top, which requires removing the top of the press. I use 4 boards in my press: two outer boards of acid free mat, and two inner boards of release board, which is acid free mat covered in a silicone impregnated paper. Works very well.
    www.gregorytdavis.com

Did millions of people suddenly disappear? This may have an answer.

"No one knows that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." -Matthew 24:36

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You may find some useful info in this thread: http://www.apug.org/forums/forum43/8...200-press.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Seal's platen cleaner is still available (http://www.adorama.com/SEPC2.html)

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    And for heavens sake don't sand it!

One can use acetone, a rag, elbow grease, and ventilation.
    Robert Hall
    www.RobertHall.com
    www.RobertHall.com/mobile
    Apug Portfolio
    Facebook Profile

Technology is not a panacea. It alone will not move your art forward. Only through developing your own aesthetic - free from the tools that create it - can you find new dimension to your work.

E76
    Shooter
    Instant Films
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tkamiya View Post
    Right, I won't. I only said that to indicate which surface I was talking about. Question is, how to clean it not how to use it. Thanks though.
    My apologies! From your question it sounded like you were worried about this dried glue doing some harm, so I assumed that you thought it would make contact with the print. I guess my point was that unless it's really bad, why worry about cleaning it off?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin