Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,752   Posts: 1,515,911   Online: 1118

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Best washer for roll films

So, what is the best washer for roll films on the reel? Most I would probably be doing would be 4 rolls of 120, although I could probably make do with a washer that handles only 2 rolls. My preference would be for something that uses a minimum of water.

I'm aware of the fill and dump method, but I like something hands off that frees me to cleanup and such.
    - Jeff (& sometimes Eva, too) - http://www.jeffbannow.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    ....a minimum of water and film washer (that is "hands off") don't really go hand in hand from my knowledge considering they all basically use the fill-and-drain or overflow methods. If something does exist, I'd like to know too. I use 3 different systems right now (gravity works and a big 8x10 tank that you pull a bottom latch to drain as well as the "fill and dump" method you've mentioned).

Shooter
    35mm
    I just built one for our Aussie drought conditions......a bit of round PVC sewerage pipe 100 mm's diameter (inside) with a cap at one end - off the shelf stuff. The OD (outside diameter) of 35 mm stainless reels are 90mm. Length of pipe is 4 reels plus a bit. Inlet water thru a plumbed fitting at the bottom and overflow out the top (standing straight up in the sink). I found some $2 stainless eggcups that look like springs to put on the bottom that raise the reels enough so that the inlet water will flow thru the reels and not around them. They also look cool too. I use the Kinderman stainless rod to lower and pull out the reels at the end of wash time. There is very little excess water used as the container is almost the same size as the reels and with a low flow rate it seems to do the trick nicely. No probs so far after several hundred rolls. good luck and cheers, sam

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I just bought a Premier Aqua Vac washer from KHB. There are two sizes 5 or 10 35mm reels. Just do a search you should find Also find a link to Freestyle as well. It seems to work just fine so far.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The old Wat-Air film washers work very well. Water inlet in the bottom along with venturi jets for air intake causes bubbling action, plus overflow at the top. This supposedly washes film more effectivly. I've found that minimum water flow without bubbles works just as good with the unit.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum
    BTW: the big kid in my avatar is my hero, my son, who proudly serves us in the Navy. "SALUTE"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    How long does the fill, 5 inversions, dump, fill, 10 inversions, dump, fill, 20 inversions, dump take? I find it is under 3 minutes even with a big multireel Paterson Super System 4 tank. I have 'aged' wash water ready in jugs which is faster to fill than using the tap.
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I know what Jeff is looking to do. There are other things happening in the DR, that hands free wash while performing other tasks makes it appealing. The Wat-Air can be set to an extremely low flow rate and not use an awful amount of water.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum
    BTW: the big kid in my avatar is my hero, my son, who proudly serves us in the Navy. "SALUTE"

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Yeah, the wash time is my time to prep the photo-flo, get the drying cabinet ready, clean up the chemistry, wash the tank, etc.

Although 3 minutes isn't bad for washing.
    - Jeff (& sometimes Eva, too) - http://www.jeffbannow.com

lns

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use the Ilford method with 5 minute soaks (just to be safe). I clean everything up during the soaks except for the tank and reels, which go last.

-Laura

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I have a hose from the faucet that I use with a short piece of stainless steel tube on the end that fits down into the center of my reels so water is pushed from the bottom of the tank up. You may want to try the same for very little money.
    www.gregorytdavis.com

Did millions of people suddenly disappear? This may have an answer.

"No one knows that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." -Matthew 24:36

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin