Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,685   Posts: 1,548,602   Online: 1339

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Enlarger Recomendations

Hello all,
    I'm trying to finally get a proper dark room and have been trawling the resale world -i.e ebay - for something nice. I would really appreciate some helpfull advice on what I might want. The things I am thinking I want as features are 1) the ability to go up to at least 6x6 - if 4x5 is possible in the same machine (for the future) that might be nice. 2) I've always done, B&W work before but if it has a color head, does that prevent me from BW work.

There is a Durst 605 on ebay right now for a few hrs that I was eyeing, but again, I'm so new to this particular type of equipment I cant shop with confidence - what do you think http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT it comes with a lot of other gear as well, so you have to promise not to steal it from me now . In any case thanks for the help, I'm not dying to purchase today of course but need to get informed on all this.
    Thanks

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I would think you would be better off shopping on Craig's list in NJ. There is usually someone trying to clear out a room in their house and ready to practically give the stuff away. Shopping on ebay you are probably going to be looking at a lot of shipping fee.
    Durst is a good brand though to my knowledge they are kind of bulky.
    Omega makes a good 4x5 enlarger and there are 17 million of them in the world.
    Beseler is my enlarger of choice, a 4x5 enlarger that is rock steady and is motorized and there are 17 million of them in world looking for homes too. I have a spare under the stairs in the basement.. though I am no where near NJ.
    Dennis

Shooter
    35mm
    I have a Durst M670 Color and it works great.
    I don't know nothing about the lens provided.
    To do MF you will need a 80mm lens, a mask for each format and a AN glass to put on the top of the negative.
    The M670 requires a wider mixing box. The M605 may also need one.
    Durst spares are more and more difficult to find.

Shooter
    35mm
    Almost forget to say that the enlarger needs a 12V power source (Transformer: Tra 305N; or Stabilizer: Sta 305N) that is not mentioned.
    The Sta 305N is much better.
    If the transformer is not provided you will need to hack (it is not difficult any way) because it will be very difficult to find an original one.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a couple of enlargers on sale in the classifieds here. My prices include shipping. First up is a Beseler 23ccomplete with condenser set up and the dichroic head and all necessary power supplies. Also have an Omega Super Dichro 67XL complete set up.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Some pointers:
    In the USA consider Beseler and Omega, they are quite common and parts are easy to find and prices are low.
    All 4x5 enlargers I can think of are high-end models and you can't go wrong with any of them (unless an individual enlarger is messed up).

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Hit your local camera club and find the codger holding the D-whatever who has fix-stained-nails.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The color head will let you do variable contrast B&W easily. I'd rather dial in a contrast than deal with keeping filter sets clean.

If it's a 4x5 enlarger it will not be something most casual sellers want to ship, so craigslist might be better than ebay.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If your looking for a 4X5 Beseler 45mx Omega D2,Dll or D5 are the most recent models. And that goes back a looong time. These are 4X5 and smaller enlargers

Beseler 23C, Cll and Clll are all 6X9CM and smaller. Biggest difference is color.C=Gray,Cll=Blue and Clll=Black the condensers and carriers fit 'em all

Don't remember the Omega lineup but they had some good 6X7's & 6X6's around. I don't recall anything in the 6X9 range, think you would have to go 4X5
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have both Omega D-2 and D-II here. These will do up to 4x5. They are built very well and parts are plentiful. For 50 dollars or less, you should be able to find one with all necessary parts. Everybody who sees my pair are surprised to find out these are more than half centuries old!
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin