Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,337   Posts: 1,537,598   Online: 1120

Shooter
    35mm

Blemishes on film...

Hi,

From time to time blemishes at the middle of film appear as you can see on picture below. I use Paterson plastic tank and ID 11. Whatever the film is I just can't get rid of those. Any advise is most appreciated...

hakan
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails amca.jpg  

Shooter
    35mm
    Did you use a film squeegie to wipe the film before you hung it up to dry? Film squeegies sometimes leave streaks down the length of the film.

~Dom

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I get that without using a squeegee from time to time as well...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'd go so far as to say that a Paterson tank with ID 11 are the "vanilla" choices we've all made at some time and they're not the cause of this problem. I'm assuming this is 35mm film, since 120 would give a different problem depending on the film ratio? If this is longitudinal in the centre down a 35mm film then you may have a camera issue rather than a processing one.

Shooter
    35mm
    The streak doesn't look uniform along the negative. Did you perhaps hang up two rolls of film to dry and they touched, or maybe your film accidentally touched something while drying. Just a thought...

Shooter
    35mm
    on film or on scans?
    Last edited by Vilk; 02-26-2011 at 11:50 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The streak across the middle looks like Newton's rings to me. They are caused by the film touching the glass of your scanner and forming concentric rings, which can sometimes be (like in this case) quite elongated. Also make sure you give your film plenty of time to dry before scanning: four hours at the very least, overnight preferably.
    website | Flickr
    "Embrace the negative with absolution, your final positive reward." --IQ, "The Province," Frequency

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That's Newton's ring! It's a scanning artifact, not a defect on film.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks a lot folks. Today I souped 7 rolls with all recommendations covered. Results are all ok...

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin