Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,506   Posts: 1,543,506   Online: 1037

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Zone VI Enlarger

I have a Zone VI (type 1) enlarger. Want to print variable contrast paper.
    Control unit hard and soft dials are marked in letters- min, A, B,C,D,E,F,G, Max.
    What combination of Hard and soft letters produce Grades 0,1,2,3,4,5?

ROL
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    This head is infinitely variable. You pretty much have to determine this for yourself, for each make of paper and developer. Grossly:
    Hard (Blue) G (max), Soft (Green) A (min) ~ Grades 4,5.
    Hard (Blue) A (min), Soft (Green) G (max) ~ Grades 0,1.
    and everything in between.

also depends on your light intensity setting (0-10).

Might try split printing, for which this head excels.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You can make a calibration table for it so you can use it like a color dichroic head to get a series of 'constant exposure' contrast settings of the knobs.

Also, have you seen the manual? They give some hints on how to use it on page 8 : http://www.seattlecreative.com/Cold%20Light%20Head.pdf

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Folks- Thanks for the suggestions. Yes, I have used the split printing method. For production work this method is time consuming-much on/off of switches. Sadly there doesn't seem to be a single method of producing various grades. Trial an error just to get in the "ballpark"! Too many choices with not a lot of direction.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by FotoRR View Post
    Folks- Thanks for the suggestions. Yes, I have used the split printing method. For production work this method is time consuming-much on/off of switches. Sadly there doesn't seem to be a single method of producing various grades. Trial an error just to get in the "ballpark"! Too many choices with not a lot of direction.
    Brightening the green light will darken highlights and brightening the blue light will darken shadows. You don't need to know the "Grades" to use it.

But, if you want to use it like a dichroic head to simulate the individual Ilford MG filters (which all print with the same exposure) you can calibrate it as demonstrated here: http://www.jbhphoto.com/articles/vcc...ljbharlin1.pdf

Shooter
    Large Format
    You can try this which came with my enlarger. I use split filtering and have not tried it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails zone 6 enlarger.jpg  
    "There are a great many things I am in doubt about at the moment, and I should consider myself favoured if you would kindly enlighten me. Signed, Doubtful, off to Canada." (BJP 1914).

Regards
    Bill

Cowanw- Thank you for the chart. Now a a place to start. Much better than wandering all over the place with the dials. Thank you-thank you-thank you!!!
    Richard Rodgers

Shooter
    Large Format
    Please let us know how this works out and if you fine tune it. If I understand this correctly the different settings will be different times.
    The brass ring would be blue and green settings for each grade that keep the time the same.
    "There are a great many things I am in doubt about at the moment, and I should consider myself favoured if you would kindly enlighten me. Signed, Doubtful, off to Canada." (BJP 1914).

Regards
    Bill

cowanw-
    Will get to this Zone VI enlarger testing in a few days. Managed to obtain a Durst M670 VC enlarger. Will be used with my 6x7 negatives. When the Durst is fine tuned, will attempt to transfer the data/information to the Zone VI machine.
    Richard Rodgers

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin