Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,960   Posts: 1,523,081   Online: 985

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Many questions, Beseler Dichro 67

Hey All,
    Just became the owner of a Beseler Dichro 67 and trying to figure things out searching and reading threads, but just becoming more confused. I just started doing B & W film developing, 35 mm, and printing in the last couple months.

Will this enlarger do the job for a beginner trying to learn?
    The lens is a compono 50 mm f/4.

Will I be able to do 8 x 10 prints? I keep reading conflicting things.
    Are parts for the Printmaker 67 the same as for this enlarger? It came with two negative carriers, 35 mm and slide I believe. Are there other ones available?

What about mixing chamber? I read that the mixing chamber was designed for 6x7 and long exposures are needed for 35 mm. One place I read that 35 mm mixing chambers were available, and at another place I read they were not.

What is the difference between the Dichro 67 and the 67C? I received two pamplets. "BESELER DICHRO 67 COLORHEAD" and "BESELER 67C ENLARGER".

Then again, maybe I don't even know enough to ask the right questions yet!

Thanks for any advice.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Try looking here:

www.beselerphoto.com
    Dave

"She's always out making pictures, She's always out making scenes.
    She's always out the window, When it comes to making Dreams.

It's all mixed up, It's all mixed up, It's all mixed up."

From It's All Mixed Up by The Cars

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I might be able to help .

I purchased a new Beseler 67C in the late 1970s, and used it happily until about 5 years ago. I still have the 67C head.

I purchased a Dichro 67 head for the enlarger about 5 years ago, and used it happily until a couple of years ago, when I purchased an Omega 4x5 enlarger with a Multigrade head.

I still have all my Beseler 67 equipment. I hope to be able to set up a two enlarger darkroom.

Your enlarger is great for a beginner, and will continue to be fully functional as you progress. A Schneider Componon 50mm f/4 lens should be quite usable, although there are more expensive and better lenses available.

8 x 10 will be easy! Depending on how long the column is on your enlarger, 11 x 14 should be quite easy, and larger enlargements quite possible as well. If you get up to 16 x 20 and larger, a better lense might be a good idea.

Is the enlarger column a single small girder, a single larger girder, or a double girder? With my single large girder, 16 x 20 is quite practical on the baseboard.

Some of the accessories for the Printmaker 67 will fit your enlarger - in particular the negative carriers. I have 110, 35mm, 6x4.5, 6x6 and 6x7 carriers for mine. I believe that there are 126 carriers as well. All the carriers are glass-less.

I rarely used the 35mm mixing chamber for 35mm negatives in my enlarger - the 6 x 7 chamber worked fine. If you intend to print large (16 x 20 and up) from 35mm negatives and/or print colour, you might want the option.

The "Dichro 67" designation either refers to the colour head alone (as an accessory) or, sometimes, to an enlarger plus colour head package. A "Beseler 67C Enlarger" most likely refers to the enlarger with the condenser (67C) head.

Over the years, there have been a number of slightly different models, and a number of slightly different colour heads, and they can be confusing. The most important concern is whether your colour head is one that requires a separate voltage regulator (the most recent models have it built in), and whether the one you have is the right one.

Here is a post showing my Beseler in use in my bathroom darkroom:

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum43/1...tml#post730908

Hope this helps.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Many Thanks MattKing,
    You answered everything and more. I am encouraged and looking forward to setting everything up this weekend.

As for a couple questions you asked, my column is a double girder and it does have a separate voltage regulator. I assume it is correct since I bought it as a unit.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin