Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,774   Posts: 1,516,630   Online: 1105

Shooter
    Medium Format

roll film tank mechanical agitator - can it be built simply?

Does anyone sell or can one build a simple contraption that can agitate a large Paterson tank (one that can hold either 8 35mm rolls or 5 120 rolls) for development on specified either 30 second or 1 minute schedule. I would time it using a darkroom timer and do the stop, fix and hypoclear manually.

The reason is I would like to have 3 or more of these tanks develop simultaneously since I often have 50+ rolls to develop at a setting.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Um... I think they are called Uniroller motor bases, or something similar. Anyway, they are self reversing and will possibly handle the three roll Patersons, the two rooll tanks dont work so well(at least on mine).
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum
    BTW: the big kid in my avatar is my hero, my son, who proudly serves us in the Navy. "SALUTE"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think the OP may be looking for something that does inversion agitation, not rotary agitation.

I use the roller bases for rotary agitation of the smaller 2x120 Paterson tanks. For the 5x120 tanks, you would need something to hold the tanks in position, and I would be concerned about whether the tanks + reels + chemistry might be too heavy.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes, they are called hands. I've often had 3 or more large tanks on the go at the same time, all Paterson with inversion agitation.

When I process that way I always use replenished developer, I stagger the tanks, starting a new cycle every 5-10 minutes, longer (10 mins) when there's more than 2 tanks.

I've worked that way when needed with both B&W and E6 since the 1970's (late 70's for E6). If it was a constant demand I'd use deep tanks again

Ian

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Have you thought about a TAS Film Processor - http://www.rhdesigns.co.uk/darkroom/...processor.html

They are expensive but it could be exactly what you are looking for

Richard Ross (the man behind RH Designs is an APUG subscriber and all round good bloke) is very freindly and full of good advice if you want or need help

Martin
    Last edited by Martin Aislabie; 03-11-2011 at 10:56 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks Martin, that's just what I wanted. I emailed Mr. Ross to see if the largest Paterson tank can be accommodated.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Have you considered setting up a tank line? It's been a while since I've used 3.5 gallon tanks with cages, but they hold a lot of reels (I forget if it's 24, 36 or 48 stainless 35mm reels).
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin