Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,233   Posts: 1,532,916   Online: 1013

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    ROL
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BetterSense View Post
    So it looks like if I made it 20" it would probably fit 16x20 trays. How deep should I make it? I've heard some people say 6" but I'm thinking more like 4". I've never had a proper darkroom sink.
    All about a sink.

Shooter
    35mm
    I have a 6 foot sink and its not even close to being long enough when I want to print 16x20. I end up with 3 tray's in the sink and 1 on a shelf near the sink.
    If I can fit 3 16x20 trays in the sink it will be big enough. I don't want the sink to take up my whole room, which is only 8x10 feet. I never use 16x20 trays, in fact I don't even have any right now, but I didn't want to build the sink so that a 16x20 tray just barely didn't fit when I could have made it just a bit bigger and they would fit. At first I was thinking 18 inches wide but it looks like I can make it 20 inches wide and then it will accomodate 16x20 trays if I ever want to.

I'm having a hard time finding a paint/sealer to use. All I can find at Lowes and so on is garage floor paint, which I'm not sure if that will work or not.
    f/22 and be there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BetterSense View Post
    If I can fit 3 16x20 trays in the sink it will be big enough. I don't want the sink to take up my whole room, which is only 8x10 feet. I never use 16x20 trays, in fact I don't even have any right now, but I didn't want to build the sink so that a 16x20 tray just barely didn't fit when I could have made it just a bit bigger and they would fit. At first I was thinking 18 inches wide but it looks like I can make it 20 inches wide and then it will accomodate 16x20 trays if I ever want to.

I'm having a hard time finding a paint/sealer to use. All I can find at Lowes and so on is garage floor paint, which I'm not sure if that will work or not.
    If I was building a sink right now I'd try to incorporate the ability to put wire shelving inside the sink, to raise the trays off the bottom.

Shelving like this:

http://www.homedepot.com/Storage-Organization-Closet-Storage-Complete-Storage-Systems-Wire-Shelves-Accessories/h_d1/N-5yc1vZbcf0/R-202104723/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

As for the paint, do I assume correctly that Dallas Texas may not be a great place to go for marine grade paints?
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Try a boat supply. As I mentioned before I used polyester resin. There are coloring agents that can be added. It comes with two parts - base and catalyst. It can be applied by brush and as many coats as you feel necessary for thickness.

http://www.jeffreyglasser.com/

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Check the following website.
    http://www.fiberglasssite.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    On the depth of the sink, I would make it deeper rather than shallower, especially on the sides and back. Splashing is all too common, especially if you're handling a big tray with a lot of heavy liquid in it. I'd have the front edge of the sink no less than 6" tall, preferably 8". The sides and back I'd make at least 12"-15", maybe even 18".

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    One time I asked, "When does March Madness start?" and all my friends laughed at me. I guess it's kinda similar to asking 'how big are 16x20" trays'.
    If you are the big tree, we are the small axe

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by holmburgers View Post
    One time I asked, "When does March Madness start?" and all my friends laughed at me. I guess it's kinda similar to asking 'how big are 16x20" trays'.
    Actually in this case, not. A 16x20 tray is roughly 16x20 on the interior dimension. The exterior dimensions are a different story altogether. Depending on how much wiggle-room the manufacturer has molded in to the interior, plus any lip and/or spout they've added to the exterior, a 16x20 tray could very well have a total footprint of 18x24, or even more.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    No, I completely agree. That's the funny thing about it; when I asked 'when does March Madness start?', I really meant what date exactly. I'm sympathetic to his question, not criticizing.
    If you are the big tree, we are the small axe

Shooter
    Multi Format
    bettersense

i would make your sink about 6" wider than a 16x20 tray
    and have high sides, front and a back.
    i read your thread on the lf site seeing this is going to be UPSTAIRS
    the last thing you want is a splash+leak+ruined walls and ceilings below.

when i used a wood sink, boat plywood and fiberglass resin +cloth sheets of fiberglass.
    and 4x4s double strapped to make sure it can handle all the weight of
    a huge wood sink filled with 200lbs of water.

have fun !
    john

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin