Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,729   Posts: 1,515,249   Online: 795

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

How big are 16x20 trays?

I'm building a darkroom sink. I don't have an 16x20 trays but I might want to make it big enough to fit them. How big are 16x20 inches across the short dimension, including the littel spout protrusion? Does anyone have any they could measure?
    f/22 and be there.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    These say 18 x 23". It probably depends on the brand too. My Arista 12x16" trays from Freestyle are 15x20".

Shooter
    35mm
    So it looks like if I made it 20" it would probably fit 16x20 trays. How deep should I make it? I've heard some people say 6" but I'm thinking more like 4". I've never had a proper darkroom sink.
    f/22 and be there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a set of Paterson 16x20 trays.
    The external dimensions including the spout are 19 1/4 x 23 1/4 x 3

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My patterson's are 19.5" wide with the corner that stick out a little. Best to budget 21+ inches and have room around them to get your fingers in there to pick them up or to account for overflow/splash when you use one or more for temperature stabilizing something or washing something.

Either amount of sink height is fine really.

As far as how far back to go, I have about 30" which allows room for the trays and room for chemical bottles behind them.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you have the space for it, I would go ahead and make an eight foot long sink, minimum. Also, I think 26" inside from front to back should allow ample room for fingers and trays. Depth is up to your personal taste. My last sink was made from 2x8's and a sheet of 3/4" plywood. I dadoed a 1/2" deep groove one inch up from the edge of the 2x and inserted the edge of the plywood into it. I then ripped some 1"x1-1/2" stiffeners and mounted them to the bottom every six inches so there would be no sag. I used the left over plywood to make a backsplash and mount faucets. I recommend urethane adhesive(Gorilla Glue) to assemble one of these if you are fabing out of wood. Epoxy floor paint makes a durable finish.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum
    BTW: the big kid in my avatar is my hero, my son, who proudly serves us in the Navy. "SALUTE"

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    My sink is also made with 3/4in plywood. We made it 10in deep and the top edge is counter high. There is an additional back-splash that is 4in back from the sink with a shelf. That is offset so the front and back walls of the sink are level and will support three pieces of the plywood that can be placed over the sink giving me more counter space when not using the sink. It was all glued with marine epoxy, the seams were covered with fiber-glass cloth and the sink, counter-top, etc was painted with marine polyester. Not one leak in 35 years.

http://www.jeffreyglasser.com/

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    My old Cesco trays are 19.75x24".

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Rick made a good point. I have a 6 foot sink and its not even close to being long enough when I want to print 16x20. I end up with 3 tray's in the sink and 1 on a shelf near the sink.
    Real men use Speed Graphics and flashbulbs.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    For 16x20 trays I use tray stackers. I use 6 trays and my sink isn't long enough for that many. The stackers are metal and permit three trays in the footprint of one. I got them from Calumet.

http://www.jeffreyglasser.com/

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin