Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,299   Posts: 1,535,778   Online: 716

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    My humble DR is in my basement, and has been for the last 50 years. The one thing I've learned is never, ever leave any optics there. Lens fungus, and mold, just love a damp place. The walls are plain old block (unpainted), and the floor is bare concrete. I did put some loose patio blocks down on the floor to keep my feet out of the water that leaks in during the spring thaw, or when ever we get a heavy rain. Hey, it ain't pretty, but it gets the job done.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Nobody takes my advice here but you might consider a red room, which will be just as bright as a white room when the safelight is on and will reflect only safe light if your safe light is actually not safe.
    "There are a great many things I am in doubt about at the moment, and I should consider myself favoured if you would kindly enlighten me. Signed, Doubtful, off to Canada." (BJP 1914).

Regards
    Bill

the villages .centralflorida,USA and Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cowanw View Post
    Nobody takes my advice here but you might consider a red room, which will be just as bright as a white room when the safelight is on and will reflect only safe light if your safe light is actually not safe.
    Bill

I consider all advise. What type of red paint do you suggest? Since paper is most sensitive to blue light, yellow paint might do a pretty good job too! Your proposal is logical, but considering creature comforts, wouldn't it be better to fix the safelights and have a nice bright darkroom instead?
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cowanw View Post
    Bill:

This would be great when you are working in the dark.

But when cleaning up in the light, wouldn't it feel like a bordello?

Not that I've personal experience with bordellos
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

ROL
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by J Rollinger View Post
    Questions!
    Paint... Does color matter? Does finish matter? Will a gloss paint have any affect while printing?
    Semi-flat white, cleanable. Probably not.

Flooring.... Its an 82 year old concrete floor with a lot of hills and valleys! I wanted to install asphalt tile but the floor is way to bad even if i try to level it. Would sheet vinyl be my best option or should i just clean and paint it?
    Clean & paint floor.

Film drying.... I have an apx 2" area between the sink and wall and was wondering if i can build something to hang and dry film from. Any ideas?
    ?
    Shelves... I want to install a 6' shelf above the sink to dry developing tanks ect.... so it would have to be a wired type of shelf and it must be rust proof. Any ideas of where i can get such a shelf?
    Cheap home store enameled wire shelves (minor rust only visible at vertical supports):

On the right side of the sink i have apx 2" area on the wall that i want to hang developing reels from to dry. Are there stainless hooks i can use?
    Plastic clothespin hooks (home store)? Plastic won't rust, not all SS is rustproof.

More about a darkroom.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There may be a reason Kodak used yellow paint and tiles in all their DR's.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    ROL

That's a pretty good looking darkroom!
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht

Shooter
    Large Format
    I think the theory is mainly related to reflected light, the best example being the cracks in the enlarger around the film holder. Any Paper exposing light would in theory be absorbed by the walls. Maybe this would be better than black around the enlarger. I would try it if I hadn't painted mine black like everybody recommended, 30 years ago.
    The colour might be a representation of wavelength that the paper is insensitive to. Like a kodak #1 or OC
    I have never been in a bordello, so I don't know what they look like.
    When I look at my bamboo tongs I can't tell the yellow from the red under safelight.
    "There are a great many things I am in doubt about at the moment, and I should consider myself favoured if you would kindly enlighten me. Signed, Doubtful, off to Canada." (BJP 1914).

Regards
    Bill

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    No wall color absorbs more light than black, but that's the problem. We don't want all light absorbed. We want 'safe' light evenly distributed!

By the way, a CD is a good tool to find out how 'safe' safelight really are.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I've actually got a new-to-me 23C II enlarger in my van ready to come to it's new home in my basement darkroom. I've still goto to light proof it but I've been developing film using a dark box (which I love) and hanging it with clips on the 6 gauge bare copper ground line in the ceiling.

I plan on hanging canvas around my enlarger to capture light.

Also, I stole one of my wife's old work out matts and it has been AmAZING on my feet! If it wasn't for that, I'd be all over horse matts!

I didn't spluge for a darkroom sink, instead got a cheap utility sink from Lowes. Got shelves from the Habitat for Humanity ReStore. As for counter top, I've been using a 3/4 in thick wood counter top in my kitchen for years - just treat it regularly with mineral oil, same as i use on my Boss Block (the kitchen is my other favorite room in the house.) I used the same wood in the basement.

The only thing I need to do now is get a print washer and run some lines for drying. Bur for a print dryer, I'm going to use a funnel into a piece of PVC pipe attached to a piece of Plexiglass with holes in it. And I'll probably build a drying box for my negatives.

I'm also installing a computer and my scanner in my dark room, should be fun killing all those lights! Of course, I should just use my old laptop for that...

But I would definatly get something to go under your feet!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin