Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,218   Posts: 1,532,185   Online: 974

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by J Rollinger View Post
    Paint... Does color matter? Does finish matter? Will a gloss paint have any affect while printing?
    APUG seems to have semi-annual long threads about this. You've just missed the most recent one.

I'd go with a beige or puce, and aubergene behind the enlargers.
    David
    Taking pictures is easy. Making photographs is hard.

http://www.behance.net/silverdarkroom
    http://silverdarkroom.wordpress.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RalphLambrecht View Post
    No wall color absorbs more light than black, but that's the problem. We don't want all light absorbed. We want 'safe' light evenly distributed!

By the way, a CD is a good tool to find out how 'safe' safelight really are.
    Please do tell.

r

Mats
    Digital is for communication, film is for documentation.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/studiopirilo

the villages .centralflorida,USA and Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mats_A View Post
    Please do tell.

r

Mats
    Turn on your safelights, take the CD, look at the back of it until you see a reflection of the safelight and bend it slightly until it breaks the light and you can see the spectrum. A 'safe' safelight will not have any blue and very little green content.

Practice first in white light to appreciate the difference.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    35mm
    I never knew that Ralph - Thank you for sharing!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks Isaac Newton. In 1670, he demonstrated that a prism could decompose white light into a spectrum of colors. I just replaced the prism with a CD and tested how 'white' the safelight is. Missing the blue and green components of the spectrum will indicate relatively 'safe' conditions.
    Last edited by RalphLambrecht; 03-11-2011 at 05:34 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You Ralph, is a real wizard. When you explained it made sense at once. Will try it.

r

Mats

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    According to the CD my safelight is safe. No blue and very little green. Fascinating stuff.

r

Mats

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Remember that all safelight are limited to a certain 'safe' time. Only, a safelight test will tell how 'safe' they really are.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Having worked in both commercial color and b&w darkrooms and built a couple of my own, I, like the rest have a few recommendations. For the floor, use a waterproof paint in a neutral color (I used gray), and get the restaurant kitchen pads to step on in black. Do not use the red ones. They are easy to pick up and clean, plus they last darned near forever! On the walls, use a very neutral semigloss white paint. Darkrooms are called that for a reason and you want your safelights to give you enough light to work with. I found that having the walls on the enlarger side and the wet side covered with pegboard very helpful. You might not even need the shelving with that up. My last suggestion is to wall mount your enlarger(s) and build your enlarging table so you can adjust the height of the paper surface similar to the shelf adjusters in an oven. These things have worked great for me.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks for all the adivce everyone!! I finished the platforms for the enlargers, all electrical and painting. I fellow Apuger earlier in this thread mentioned wired shelves from Home Depot so i went there.. They were perfect for what i needed and came in 6ft lengths to match sink. If they rust i will just snap it off and put a new one on. The floor is a lost cause... I tried to even it out today but its just bad so I'm going with painting the floor gray and using black mats. I'm getting very excited to complete it so i can print again!!!! I will scrub the floor good in the next 2 days so it dries out for painting this weekend. After the floor all i have to do is put the sink in and find a base cabinet at Home Depot then I'm done! Below is a photo of the platform and enlarger. I was surprised that the enlarger would not fit but luckily there is only 8 screws to remove the chassis from the baseboard, not it fits.

Thanks again for the help, I appreciate it!

Jim
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 005.JPG  

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin