Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,508   Posts: 1,543,556   Online: 1046

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Which enlarger lens for MF ???

Hi all,

I am entering on the MF world after buying my Mamiya C330F.
    Now I have to buy a MF enlarger lens and I would want to know which is the best choice to find on ebay.
    Thank you in advance for any suggestion
    Bye

NB: I have a Rodagon 50 f/2,8 for 35mm and would like to try a different brand maybe.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You can't go wrong with a Schneider or a Rondenstock.

Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Keep an eye out for an 80mm Schneider or Rodenstock lens for 6x6cm negativs.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Your best bet is a 75 to 105mm (80 mm is typical) brand-name (Schneider, Rodenstock or Nikon) six-element lens. I would not buy a four-element lens (not even brand-name) with prices as low as they are these days.

However, be aware that the differences between lenses of the same make and type are often greater than between makes. Therefore, if you can, try before you buy, or insist on the option to return. Watch for oily blades, hard working apertures, foggy glass and internal dust.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I find a 75mm gives good coverage AND working distance (due to the magnification) for my Yashicaflex 6x6 while I use a 90mm for my Mamiya RB67 negatives (and 50mm f/2.8 El-Nikkor for 35mm and 126). The general choice is between a 6 element design or a 4 element design which will be cheaper and perhaps not quite as sharp in the corners. My Yashicaflex's old 80mm f/3.5 Yashimar lens isn't that sharp anyways and it is difficult to get perfect focus with the old WLF and knob focus so I haven't bothered to get an expensive lens for 6x6 but I did get a 6-element design for my 6x7 negs since the Mamiya Sekor glass is better and the SLR can be focused more accurately.

The El-Nikkor 80mm f5.6, Rodenstock Rodagon 80mm f4 & Schnieder Componon S 80mm f4 are all are 6 element lenses but the 4-element El-Nikkor 75mm 5.6 is cheaper.
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I have an 80mm Schneider APO-Componon which I like a lot. I bought it used on e-Bay.
    When a man forgets how to use his hands, he becomes hopelessly lost in his head.

Shooter
    35mm
    Stark,
    All the big brands will do a fine job. But each have their "palette".
    You mention you want to try another brand, what is it about the Rodagon that you find displeasing? Or is it just to see what the others will bring to the table?

I am a fan of the Apo-Rodagon N glass. The 80 or the 105 (a touch long) would be a good choice if you like the feel of that glass.
    * If you hunt on E bay: The red striped Apo Rodagons are process lenses not enlarging lenses and are often listed as enlarging lenses none the less.
    The apo componon HM series are said to be amazing performers also.

However, If you are printing "soft dreamy" portraits, neither may be a good choice for you.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you are patient, you can find EL-Nikkor 80mm lens here on APUG classified. I have one and it is a fine lens.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I just finished a session using my EL Nikkor 1:4 75mm lens which has served me extremely well for very many years.

http://www.jeffreyglasser.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yeah, I really think people kick around the 4-element designs though it's funny because on the other hand people will rave about some old Tessars on cameras.
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin