Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,476   Posts: 1,570,998   Online: 894

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Oh, my mistake, so shoot me.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ralnphot View Post
    Oh, my mistake, so shoot me.
    How about we just make you sit through Battle: Los Angeles?

Yeah, probably too severe... and you might actually prefer being shot.

Lee

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    I've never tried it, but I understand that Kaiser 35mm neg carriers fit the V35, maybe you could find one and file that out instead?

Regards
    Jerry

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Maris View Post
    Don't file the negative carrier. I get my black borders a much easier and less destructive way!

I expose the photographic paper in the masking easel in the usual way but before taking it out I cover it with a cardboard rectangle a few millimetres smaller than the picture area. First the rectangle is slid into the upper left corner formed by the easel blades. Then the room lights are blinked on/off for a couple of seconds. Next the cardboard rectangle is slid into the lower right corner and the room light blink is done again. Then the exposed paper goes off to the developer etc. Result? A photograph with black border that is thick or thin, rough or smooth, depending on how you made the masking cardboard rectangle.

Another advantage of this method over the filed-out negative carrier is that it still delivers black borders when you need to crop a negative!
    ...but you actually lose part of your image that way. The filed out carrier gives you every last photon that struck the film originally, plus the black borders. (Which to me is the point of the filed out carrier, not necessarily the black borders themselves, though they come along for the ride.)

Duncan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by frobozz View Post
    ...but you actually lose part of your image that way. The filed out carrier gives you every last photon that struck the film originally, plus the black borders. (Which to me is the point of the filed out carrier, not necessarily the black borders themselves, though they come along for the ride.)

Duncan
    Technically correct but it raises an interesting philosophical point. The extreme edge of the image was never seen unless the camera offered a 100% viewfinder; Nikon F perhaps. Because the edge was not seen it never passed through the mind of the photographer and the artistic claim to it is short of 100% valid. Perhaps the black border should crop the photograph to what was seen in the viewfinder.
    Photography, the word itself, invented and defined by its author Sir John.F.W.Herschel, 14 March 1839 at the Royal Society, Somerset House, London. Quote "...Photography or the application of the Chemical rays of light to the purpose of pictorial representation,..". unquote.

Shooter
    35mm
    I understand you perfectly. I do have the original 25x37mm carrier, you can still buy it directly from leica new jersey for about 300.00u.s. it has double antinewton glass, so filing a carrier will never give you the same results.

Gil

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have done this to my V35 carrier and it was not a problem. You have to keep in mind that when you file down the carrier it will leave very tiny burrs. To remove them, use 220 to 320 grit sand paper. After sanding down the burrs, slide your finger over the area you filed to make sure that all the burrs are removed. You must sand both sides of the carrier. What I also did after the sanding was to use a strip of negatives with six frames and slide them side to side on the carrier to make sure there are no scratches. (Use a negative strip that you don't need.) Before you begin, remove the top part of the carrier that has the anti-newton glass so as not to damage it. To do that, turn over the carrier and lift up the two springs and they will separate. When you file the carrier down to the final size, you're probably going to end up with a small black border (not very large) because of the two strips of red filter on the carrier on the top and bottom. You don't want to get too close to the red strips because you will compromise the integrity of the carrier.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Thanks for the valuable insights. All I have to do now is muster the guts to start filing.

-Puma

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin