Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,816   Posts: 1,581,635   Online: 846

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    DAP

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by ooze View Post
    It is a black one, but with an oblong head and filter drawer, so regular bulbs should be OK. A few days ago I put some pictures of my darkroom into the "Darkroom Portraits" sticky thread ("Darkroom Equipment" forum). It is still the last post in there. You may want to check the focomat I have from there and let me know about the correct bulb type.

Just a couple of days ago there was an Ilford 100H head for the Ic on the german auction site. I started bidding for it, but eventually it sold for about 830 Euros!! much more than I was ready to pay.
    It sure looks like your enlarger has the same egg shape that the later gray versions have. Judging on the shape I would assume that the larger bulbs would work OK. Have you loosened the thumb screws on top and tried moving the bulb up and down to try to optimize light coverage?

That is an insane price for an Ilford 100H (it is basically a stripped down budget alternative to the 500 version). Last time I checked you could buy a brand new VC Kienzle head to fit the focomat for less.

I would seriously look into aftermarket color heads rather than paying these types of inflated prices. I have used Cosar heads in the past and they are really nice (very well made and have a smart design). They are pretty hard to find, but they are not expensive when you do.

I have never used the Wallner (I have a dead one sitting in the basement - just never got around to fixing it), but it seems to have a good reputation. These also tend to go for reasonable amounts when you can find one.

Both of these heads had adapters available for the focomat, but they might be hard to find unless they come with the head (making an adapter should not be too difficult though).

DAP

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Here is another thought,

How about placing a piece of opal glass above the condensers w/in the housing (maybe in the filter drawer) as a way of diffusing the light before it hits the condensers. Maybe that will even the light out a bit.

I haven't tried this, but it might be worth some experimentation.

Shooter
    35mm
    I just compare enlargers:

Magnifax is sharper than focomat, but focomat 1C has better middle tones. Both
    enlargers have similar light falloff. With 1C antinewton glass is reccomanded.
    Old axomat 1 has similar condensor than focomat, picture quality is also similar.
    Next generations of axomats have" improved" larger condensors, sadly with worse picture quality.
    I have no expirience with c35.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    They're both great enlargers, although the Ic is a slightly more temperamental to set up. As quoted above, the V35 is diffuser and the Ic condenser, so you may have to adjust your processing regime accordingly.

If you go for the V35 do try to get the VC head, it makes life so much easier.

Regards
    Jerry

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin