Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,220   Posts: 1,532,307   Online: 878

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Focomat 1c or V35

Hi,

I would like to get Focomat V35 - I have heard only the best about this piece of equipment, but I have opportunity to get 1c now. I am interested is V35 so much better - should I wait for V35 or go for 1c?

I already have Meopta Axomat and Magnifax 3 with El nikkor 50/2.8 and 75/4 - have been using them for last couple of years, and I am happy with them - but Focomat is something that I would like to have .

thanks,

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Have you used either the 1c or V35 ? If you're happy with your Meopta there may not be much of a gain although the V35 is a very nice enlarger to work with. It also isn't a condenser enlarger so you MAY have to change your flow very slightly.

fwiw, I've used Meopta and still have an Opemus in storage but the V35 is my primary 35mm enlarger because it's what I've used most of my professional life.

So...I'd recommend staying with your Meopta but suggest you act fast when you find a good condition, fair priced V35 for sale.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Darko,

I have both a Focomat Ic and a Meopta Opemus 6a with a Meograde head (diffuse light). I bought the Focomat after the Meopta because I was somewhat mystified by the legendary name. Then I found out that I much prefer printing with the Meopta.

One thing you have to be careful with the Focomat is the condenser. Since it is directly in contact with the negative any flaws (scratches etc) on the condenser will directly show in the print. I also haven't been able get even illumination with the Focomat despite having sought and received some advice in internet forums.

Obviously this is only my personal experience. Scores of excellent photographers have printed with a Focomat Ic in the past. And I would probably get used to it if I didn't have the Meopta.

Regards

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks for replays. I have never used any focomat. Thanks for tip about condenser.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It depends on who you ask.

I have not used a 1c, but recently installed a working V35 in my darkroom. It is far and away the best enlarger I've ever used for 35mm. Blows everything else out of the water. That is my opinion.

But some people don't like the V35 at all, calls it cheaply made compared to the 1c. I haven't tried the 1c, so I can't tell you about that one.

You can't go wrong with a good V35. But you may not like it as much as I do. Nobody can call it a bad enlarger, and it's really nice to have one set up, dedicated to 35mm work.

And, if something goes wrong with a V35 - good luck finding support outside of Leica headquarters. It will be an expensive fix.

Good luck!

- Thomas
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

DAP

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I have owned at one time or another both the V35 and the 1c. In stock form I preferred the V35 due to the availability of the variable contrast module that is available for the head. The construction of the V35 is not cheap at all. Sure it has some plastic on it, but it is very well made. The only problem I had with it was that you were stuck w/ a 40mm lens if you wanted to retain the autofocus option (you are limited to the factory leitz 40mm or the Schneider 40mm).

That being said, I ended up selling the V35 in favor of the 1c, but this was due to the fact that I found an Ilford 500 head for the 1c (if not for the ilford head I would have kept the V35)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've had both at one time or another. I don't understand how the V35 could be called "cheaply made". The one I had had the color head & just didn't care for it.
    Oh well, I preferred the lC for the quality of light. Go make me 'splain it. I can't. If you look for the 1C look for a later one with filter drawer.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

DAP

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by ooze View Post
    I also haven't been able get even illumination with the Focomat despite having sought and received some advice in internet forums.
    Do you have the early Black 1c or the Later Gray 1c. The early black 1c enlargers used a now discontinued short neck bulb. If you use a current long neck bulb in it you will have problems w/ uneven illumination.

If you can't get a hold of a short neck bulb you can try to retrofit a color diffuser head onto it to solve the problem (wallner and Cosar made replacement heads, although I imagine you could adapt almost any medium format head to the enlarger if you are handy).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think there is a spacer collar that allows a Valoy II, and I imagine a 1c, to use a long-neck bulb - more for it's higher wattage than the bulb envelope. It moves the lamp up and also provides vents for more cooling air.

I have a Valoy I that I use as a trade-show prop. The lamp position is adjustable but illumination is hot in the center no matter where one places the lamp.
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by DAP View Post
    Do you have the early Black 1c or the Later Gray 1c. The early black 1c enlargers used a now discontinued short neck bulb. If you use a current long neck bulb in it you will have problems w/ uneven illumination.

If you can't get a hold of a short neck bulb you can try to retrofit a color diffuser head onto it to solve the problem (wallner and Cosar made replacement heads, although I imagine you could adapt almost any medium format head to the enlarger if you are handy).
    It is a black one, but with an oblong head and filter drawer, so regular bulbs should be OK. A few days ago I put some pictures of my darkroom into the "Darkroom Portraits" sticky thread ("Darkroom Equipment" forum). It is still the last post in there. You may want to check the focomat I have from there and let me know about the correct bulb type.

Just a couple of days ago there was an Ilford 100H head for the Ic on the german auction site. I started bidding for it, but eventually it sold for about 830 Euros!! much more than I was ready to pay.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin