Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,914   Posts: 1,556,285   Online: 981

mjs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Shortest feasable modern lens for 5x7?

I'm still trying to shoehorn the cast iron monster Elwood 5x7 enlarger into my minature, height-challenged darkroom. It currently has an older 7" or so lens; is there a shorter focal length modern enlarging lens which would not require the head to be raised as far for a given enlargement as my current lens? Thanks!

Mike
    Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming– “Wow! What a Ride!”

— Hunter S. Thompson

Shooter
    Large Format
    The shortest lens that is specifically designed to cover the 5” x 7” format is 180mm, which is approximately 7”.

So no, there’s no shorter lens for enlarging a 5” x 7” negative.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The older 150mm EL-Nikkor (53mm mounting threads i think) will cover 5x7 just fine. Some others also cover, but show vignetting and/or unsharp corners.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'll second the old 150 EL-Nikkor with 53mm threads.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I may be off base here... but what about any of the super-angulons that cover 5x7? I know it is expensive... but so is raising the roof. Do what you must. I suppose some of the WA lenses from Woolensack might be worth a try. Ansel Adams something about the enlarging lens should be the same as the taking lens... but this is one point where I think he was a bit "daf".

I bet there is a 120 mm that will do the job.... distortion etc... now that's a horse of another color.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Can you mod the enlarger to wall project ie horizontal?
    Tony
    Newnan, GA

Cambo 23SF, Hasselblad, Mamiya M645, Rolleiflex 2.8C
    Rollei 4x4 Grey
    Leica M4-P M3 IIIf RD Contax IIa Nikon SP
    Olympus OM-1 OM-2

http://www.oresteen.com/ROLLEI4X4.htm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by aoresteen View Post
    Can you mod the enlarger to wall project ie horizontal?
    That's actually a built in feature on the Elwood.

I actually went with a coffee table height base on my Elwood.
    Mark Barendt, Beaverton, OR

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

mjs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My darkroom is quite small and rather odd; it's tucked into a corner of the basement utility room and measures about five feet square, with one corner cut at an angle for the doorway (so as not to crowd the washer and dryer outside the darkroom.) Frankly, the 7 foot ceiling height is the longest dimension! Horizontal would be more limiting than vertical, I'm afraid.

Mike
    Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming– “Wow! What a Ride!”

— Hunter S. Thompson

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I use a 131mm Repromaster on my 5x7 Elwood. That's about 5 1/2 inches. It will easily cover the 5x7 negative size. I can print 20x24's on my baseboard with no problem.

mjs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Excellent, thank you!

Mike

— Hunter S. Thompson

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin