Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,968   Posts: 1,523,433   Online: 1026

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Durst M601 problem

Hi,

I have just bought a Durst M601 enlarger. Mounted it and started playing with it.

It came with two lenses: 50mm and 105mm.

With 35mm I have no problems, image looks ok but the problem is when I try it for 6x6 negatives.

I think the condenser light is not covering fully 6x6, I have mounted it as the manual says (curved face to curved face). This is how it looks without lens:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0328_res.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	160.0 KB 
ID:	33079

And how the enlargement looks (with the 105) I've tried minimum and maxim size, still the same:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0333_res.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	242.0 KB 
ID:	33080

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Some info on photo.net here:

Just to clarify, the 'square' condensor is called a "Sivocon 80" (it's written on the side). The 'round' one is a "Sivocon 50" and has the same square frame as the 80.

For 6x6 you use two 80's, with the curved surfaces facing each other. For 35 mm you use one 80 and one 50, again with the curved surfaces facing each other. I actually put the 50 on the bottom, not the top, which gives you a little bit more light, but the illumination is even whichever way up you have them.

You can use the 6x6 setup for 35 mm, but the light level will be lower and you'll have longer printing times. The 35 mm setup leaves the corners of a 6x6 frame very dark.

So you are missing one of the two Sivocon-80's needed?

There's two on German ebay right now, shipping ww.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thank you, exactly that's my problem. Unfortunately the manual misses this information. Probably the person before used it only for 35mm, the seller on eBay missed this information, somebody will get a bad review .

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Oh, there is another set here, in Belgium. Cheaper than the one on ebay. You can always ask the guy if he wants to ship to Cyprus.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I had an M-601 years ago, left the condensers in the 6x6 position all the time. I shot more 6x6 than 35mm and did not find the extra printing time inconvenient.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum
    BTW: the big kid in my avatar is my hero, my son, who proudly serves us in the Navy. "SALUTE"

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have a 601, and I also only have the 6x6 condensers. I've thought a few times about getting a 50, but haven't found one at a reasonable price...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I bought my 601 new in 1975 or 76. It's a good enlarger. I usually use the color head for multigrade printing. The color head has different mixing boxes for 35mm and 6x6. That's another option, if you can't find the condensers. It will also give you more diffuse light.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Problem is that I have the color head but it's not working. I don't know if it is the transformer of the bulb, I will need to check but I don't have the necessary tools for now.

I have another question, if I'm still here. In the filter drawer, I can put any type of color filters I want, or I need something heat resistant ? I found something no-name (but on a well known film store), I'm on a budget now as my darkroom expenses lately were huge

Thank you all, very much!!!

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by VladimirC View Post
    I have another question, if I'm still here. In the filter drawer, I can put any type of color filters I want, or I need something heat resistant ? I found something no-name (but on a well known film store)
    The filter drawer is sufficiently far from the light source never to get hot, only just a bit warm (in the sense of making your negatives 'pop', not melt). Your filters should be at least as tough as your negatives, think of it that way.

Shooter
    Multi Format

Filters in M601 drawer

I haven't used mine for a while, but if I remember correctly, the thin (film) filters can sometimes bow upwards from the heat of the bulb if you use a high wattage. Usually, a tiny filter frame was enough to keep it from doing this. Just check it after a few minutes with the bulb on. If it bows, you could either try a thin frame or even a same-size piece of thin glass would work, though you'll have to remember not to yank open the drawer and accidentally flipping it out of there.

Quote Originally Posted by sandermarijn View Post
    The filter drawer is sufficiently far from the light source never to get hot, only just a bit warm (in the sense of making your negatives 'pop', not melt). Your filters should be at least as tough as your negatives, think of it that way.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin