Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,933   Posts: 1,522,245   Online: 1056

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    frotog, that doesn't sound encouraging for me now... The ceiling in our living room has a height of 2.70 m (8.86'/106.3''), so from your post I learn that this is not enough. The manual says that it needs about 2.45 m (8'/96.5'') with CLS 1000. It would be a shame if I couldn't use it and had to sell it again

ic-racer, I just saw the pictures of your L1840 enlarger at the LF forum. Impressive! I will read the thread later.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by frotog View Post
    The cls 1000 head on the 138 chassis needs just as much head room as the 184. How do I know? Not only do I have two of them but I've also got two 2-1/2' deep square holes in my darkroom ceiling.
    The conversion I bought (made by Michael Mutmansky) was not with the cls 1000 head. It was a 12x12 inch Aristo cold light so he and then I could print 8x10 negatives.

There are two pictures of the conversion in my gallery. One is mislabeled Durst 108 rather than 138.

John

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jp80874 View Post
    The conversion I bought (made by Michael Mutmansky) was not with the cls 1000 head. It was a 12x12 inch Aristo cold light so he and then I could print 8x10 negatives.

There are two pictures of the conversion in my gallery. One is mislabeled Durst 108 rather than 138.

John
    John has a great setup. His 8x10 Durst conversion is a lot smaller than the 5x7 1300 Durst!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have one of these beasts (l138SP) that I have not set up yet. I had been lusting for one for some time. I still need to locate a suitable timer for it (and a working space).

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Renato Tonelli View Post
    I have one of these beasts (l138SP) that I have not set up yet. I had been lusting for one for some time. I still need to locate a suitable timer for it (and a working space).
    Peter Spangenberg also has one of these. We are both very happy with APUG sponsor RH Design timers.

Good friend Nicholas Lindan is also a sponsor on APUG. He designed and makes the Darkroom Automation products. I bought my RH Design before I knew Nick. My understanding is that both products are very good.

You are on your own finding working space. There was a LOT of negotiation at the Powers' house before that appeared.

John Powers

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    John has a great setup. His 8x10 Durst conversion is a lot smaller than the 5x7 1300 Durst!
    Thanks Dale.

John

K-G
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't know what the Laratub N is but on my own Durst I use a Seipla 25 for the 80 mm lens and a Latub 2 for the 50 mm lens. The Seipla is just a recessed lens mount adapter ( aproximately 25 mm deep ) but the Latub is an ingenious piece of mechanics. It is about 50 mm deep and equiped with a mechanism to remotely control the lens aperture from outside the tube. I have tried the 80 mm on a flat adapter but that doesn't work. Neither is the Seipla sufficent for the 50 mm. Of course there is allways the possibility to print 35 mm negatives with the 80 mm and 6X6 cm negatives with a 150 mm lens if you are satisfied with smaller prints. If you don't want to make a big hole in your ceiling, you can lower the head of Durst and at the same time lower the board with the easel on as this is adjustable. It may end up with you sitting on the floor or standing on your knees when printing, but no suffering is to great for a good print. As you live near Berlin it may also be good idea to get in contact with the staff at Fotoimpex in Berlin. I don't know if anyone is a Durst expert but from my experience they are a great gang, headed by Mirko Boedeker. I will enclose a link.
    Good luck !
    Karl-Gustaf

http://www.fotoimpex.de/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by K-G View Post
    I don't know what the Laratub N is but on my own Durst I use a Seipla 25 for the 80 mm lens and a Latub 2 for the 50 mm lens.
    The Laratub is 8" so it fits in place of the Unipla that holds those smaller lensboards.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thank you again!

Fotoimpex - I always go there for my papers, films and chemicals. It is a great place indeed. I may ask there, too.
    BTW, they moved to another building, just a few meters away from the old shop.

The Laratub N was mentioned in the manual for the L138s as the lens tube for lenses between 50 and 80 mm.

BTW, my husband and I set up the enlarger last Friday and it does fit We switched it on and all seems to work fine. It is just somewhat noisy due to the fan inside and the voltage stabilizer, but that was no surprise. I also noted a little delay of maybe one second from starting the timer until the enlarger lamp actually switches on, but it also switches off with the same delay, so that shouldn't be an issue (I hope).
    We disassembled the enlarger again because I first have to get rid of my huge, old (and empty) fish tank, as this is the place where the enlarger is going to stand. I truly look forward to working with it!

Best regards,
    Sandra

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by swittmann View Post
    I also noted a little delay of maybe one second from starting the timer until the enlarger lamp actually switches on, but it also switches off with the same delay, so that shouldn't be an issue (I hope).
    The lamp comes on about a second before the shutter opens. Then the shutter closes after the same delay of a second.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin