Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,712   Posts: 1,482,986   Online: 813

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Durst Laborator 138s with CLS 1000 - question(s)

Dear all,

Yesterday I picked up a Durst Laborator 138s with CLS 1000 color head. What a HUGE enlarger, especially in comparison to my good old Meopta 5a!

Anyways, it came with a Trinobox 138 for large format negatives. I found a manual online and learned that I will need a Trinobox 69 for small and medium format. ( Don't have a LF camera yet )

The enlarger is not installed yet, but I would like to ask beforehand if it is possible to use the Trinobox 138 for medium format at least, until I am able to find a Trinobox 69 - what is the difference between those boxes? I am not familiar with this kind of enlargers yet, having worked with the Meopta (condenser + under-the-lens filters) for many, many years now.

BTW, it came with a Saunders V-Track. I am sooo happy about that because I have had so many issues with the Dunco... Looking forward to prints with perfect right angles!

Best regards,
    Sandra, a.k.a. the woman who enlarged her old enlarger

K-G
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Congratulations to a magnificient enlarger/easel combination. I use both myself but the Durst with condenser lenses. In general there should not be any problem to use a difusion box or condenser combination designed for large format when you work with a smaller format. In fact you may get more even ilumination over the entire negative. The only drawback is that you will need longer exposure time at a certain combination of lens aperture and enlargement. This is because the large format box will evenly distribute the available light over a larger area than the small/medium format box. With a medium format negative you only use the center part of the light coming from the large format box. Start working with the large format box as soon as possible and if you can find a small/medium format box that is an extra bonus.
    Viel Glück !

Karl-Gustaf

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Sandra,

Congratulations on your new equipment. The Durst 138 I bought was converted to 8x10 cold light by the former owner. I also use the V track 11x14 and the larger 20x24. Very nice equipment.

A web site you may find helpful is the USA Durst Distributor’s library.
    http://www.durst-pro-usa.com/library.html

Besides the manual and brochure for the 138 you may also find many other useful articles. It has been a great source for me.

Enjoy,

John Powers

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Karl-Gustav and John,

Thank you so much for your encouraging answers! You guys are great

Can't wait to make my first prints with it. (I think I will call it Goliath )

Best regards,

Sandra

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Sandra,

As the fisherman said, "If you think this one is large, you should see the one that got away (the Durst L184)."

Height of standard chassis: 90.50” / 230cm.
    Height w/ Fully raised light head:108.25”/ 275cm.

My darkroom ceiling is 84” tall. My wife was considering building a closet in the room above to allow the head of the enlarger to rise up to peak height. Fortunately we found the 138 model that required no modifications to the room.

John

K-G
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    As you live in Germany it may be a good idea to check the company Kienzle Phototechnik , situated not far from Stuttgart. They manufacture their own enlargers and spareparts and additional equipment for other enlargers, among them the Durst 138.
    On their web-site you can see some of the items, but send them a mail and ask as I know they have more on separate lists. I have bought parts from them for my Leitz Focomat IIC and everything worked fine. It may take a day or two before they answer your e-mail but for me everything was handled in good order. I enclose a link to them.
    Keep printing !

Karl-Gustaf

http://www.kienzle-phototechnik.de/index.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes the CLS1000 head looks pretty big on the 138 chassis, like it is ready to tip over! Later they started putting that 5x7 head on the L1840 8x10 chassis for more stability (called it the 1300, see photo below).

The Trinobox 69 will decrease the printing times when printing medium format negatives. This can be of benefit if doing mural prints, etc. Otherwise your 5x7 mixing box (Trinobox 138) can be used for all formats 5x7 and smaller.

They made Trinobox 450, 69 and 35. These are all two-component assemblies, requiring a matching upper and lower piece. Finding the matching pairs on the second-hand market can be difficult.
    I don't have the specs for the CLS1000 head, but with the CLS2000 head, going from the 5x7in mixing box to the 6x9cm mixing box the light output gain is 0.8 stops. So you can decide if the quest for the Trinobox 69 set will be worthwhile for you.

Last edited by ic-racer; 03-28-2011 at 07:09 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Shipping will be the biggest problem. Those boxes are big and vulnerable. When looking you want a trinobox 69 - oben + trinobox 69 - unten + diffuser 69-1+diffusor 69-2. In Europe expect to pay 75 - 100 euro + shipping. Not extremely hard to find.
    Printen is net als leren fietsen. Theorie helpt niet, je moet het doen.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Again, thank you very much, also for the links! You are right, Kienzle should be a great source for both material and information. BTW, they are located close to town where I used to live as a child... that is a nice coincidence.

It seems like the enlarger will not fit into my darkroom, which is located under the staircase, with a slanted ceiling... so most likely it will go to the living room which is the next room and where the wall is high enough.
    Well, this will be some sort of temporary solution since we do not plan to live in this house forever, so it is ok for now. (Thank God for my patient husband )

The enlarger came with the TRIPLA lens turret and 3 lenses, one of them being a 80 mm Schneider Kreuznach, mounted on an adaptor. That lens has the same screw thread as my 50 mm lens, so I assume it should be ok just to switch the lenses for doing small/medium format - or will I have to use another adaptor like the Laratub N to bring the lens closer (?) to the negative? Please excuse my somewhat stupid questions...
    There is no imprint on the adapter, so I cannot say if it is a Laratub or not. It looks a different from the one in the manual - mine is flatter. I can upload a picture of it, if it helps to identify.

Best regards,
    Sandra

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jp80874 View Post
    Sandra,

As the fisherman said, "If you think this one is large, you should see the one that got away (the Durst L184)."

Height of standard chassis: 90.50” / 230cm.
    Height w/ Fully raised light head:108.25”/ 275cm.

My darkroom ceiling is 84” tall. My wife was considering building a closet in the room above to allow the head of the enlarger to rise up to peak height. Fortunately we found the 138 model that required no modifications to the room.

John
    The cls 1000 head on the 138 chassis needs just as much head room as the 184. How do I know? Not only do I have two of them but I've also got two 2-1/2' deep square holes in my darkroom ceiling.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin