Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,577   Posts: 1,545,719   Online: 801

Shooter
    Multi Format

Glassless for Durst M600?

I am enlarging in my bathroom, and I am back to using my old M600. I have a Besseler M45 that I purchased because I wanted to print from 4x5" negs. That is where I fell in love with glassless carriers. However, I don't have the room to set up the M45 at the moment. I am just happy to be printing again. Do they make a glassless for the M600. Any tips to cut down on dust and Newton's rings if there is not such a critter?

Thanks,
    Chris Maness

Shooter
    35mm
    They did make glassless inserts for the neg carrier, but good luck finding them these days. You should be able to make one yourself fairly easily. It is simply a chunk of metal with the proper size window cut out (but you could use any material of same thickness as glass plate now in carrier). You can get the outer dimensions from the glass in the carrier now.
    I have only the 35mm mask, have been meaning to make up some for 4x4 and 6x6 but haven't gotten around to it yet.
    I also have the glass insert, but dust and newton rings (I do not have the AN glass and can't find it) have been a problem so only printing 35mm as of now.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    This carrier has the little mask blades that are adjustable. I was thinking about just trying it without the glass. If that doesn't work, I have a friend that teaches a fabrication class that might be able to help me make one.

Chris

Shooter
    35mm
    I don't think you would be able to use the blades to hold your negs, they are below the "film plane", focus would be an issue, and I doubt they would be kind to your neg even if focus were possible.
    Fabrication is your only option if you wish to go glassless. You might try some mat board, may be sufficient, if not you're only out a piece of mat and 10 minutes work.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes, I realize that I can't use the blades for a holder, but I was thinking about the masking that you were referring to only to block the extra light from the negative. That way you would not need a different mask for 35mm. You would be able to use the same carrier for both. I think that is how it is designed as the glass does not need to be changed when you use 35mm.

Chris

Shooter
    35mm
    Maybe I'm not understanding correctly, but I don't see how one mask could be used for multiple neg sizes. If you tried to mount a 35mm neg on a 6x6 glassless carrier it would simply fall through the 6x6 opening.
    I am not familiar with other glassless carriers, maybe they have a different design. With the M600 the glassless carrier is a sheet of metal with an opening slightly smaller than the negative size.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ok, now I understand the issue. I was thinking if I had longer strips of film it would not be such an issue, but then again, I could imagine that the film would be sagging in the middle causing focus issues.

Chris

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ahh, I was able to score a 35mm and 6x6cm glassless carrier on ebay so they do exist. I had to buy the whole head to go with it, but it was still cheap.

Chris

Shooter
    35mm
    You should go buy a lottery ticket, I've been looking for years for the 6x6! Figures the one week I don't look one pops up...but what I really want is the 4x4...will probably show up 3 days after Efke anounces they are stopping 127 production.
    Nice find, and enjoy!
    Now off to scour ebay...

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin