Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,709   Posts: 1,482,886   Online: 1038

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm RF

How to silence or quiet a gralab 505?

Hi folks, I was wondering if anybody know a way to silence or quiet a Gralab 505 WHEN using the keys to enter the time? Right now, it beeps quite loudly every time I press a key to try to set an exposure time. Since I do most of my printing at night, and live in an apartment, it would be great if I can quiet or just silence it completely.

I read online somewhere somebody took it apart, but I have no idea how.

So far, I have been wrapping it in clothes, and really hold the wrap tight when pressing the timer buttons. It sort of deadens the sound slightly, but def not a long term solution.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciate it.
    Thank you.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a Gralab 520. It might be similar to yours. On mine the third slide switch to the right of the display turns off the tone. I leave the tone and metronome in the off position.
    No sound at all. Hope that helps.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My Gralab 525 has a four position sliding switch marked "metro-no tone-tone-warn" . If yours has a similar, just slide the switch to the "no tone" position. Unfortunatly, there isn't any way to silence the tone when setting times. Like mine, you are stuck with it. I think its there so you dont accidently bump a button in the dark and change time and not know it. While it may sound loud to you being in the room with it, I dont believe it loud enough to disturb neighbors.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum
    BTW: the big kid in my avatar is my hero, my son, who proudly serves us in the Navy. "SALUTE"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Put it into an open shoe box - it will block a lot of the sound.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Large Format
    It seems that the timer should have a switch to disengage the beeper.

If not, then you can open the box and locate the transducer (miniature speaker) and unsolder one of the wires and wrap the bare end of the wire with electrical tape or install a small thread-on insulating plastic wire nut.

That will remove the transducer from the circuit making the beeper silent. I've done this to a couple of similar devices and it did no harm that I could detect.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by ralnphot View Post
    My Gralab 525 has a four position sliding switch marked "metro-no tone-tone-warn" . If yours has a similar, just slide the switch to the "no tone" position. Unfortunatly, there isn't any way to silence the tone when setting times. Like mine, you are stuck with it. I think its there so you dont accidently bump a button in the dark and change time and not know it. While it may sound loud to you being in the room with it, I dont believe it loud enough to disturb neighbors.
    Yah, that's my problem. I have turned off any beeping when the exposure finishes using the slider you mentioned.

My concern is with the sound when setting the time.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    Put it into an open shoe box - it will block a lot of the sound.
    Cool, I will give that a shot.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian C View Post
    It seems that the timer should have a switch to disengage the beeper.

If not, then you can open the box and locate the transducer (miniature speaker) and unsolder one of the wires and wrap the bare end of the wire with electrical tape or install a small thread-on insulating plastic wire nut.

That will remove the transducer from the circuit making the beeper silent. I've done this to a couple of similar devices and it did no harm that I could detect.
    any idea or tips on opening up the 505? I tried, but so far, only chipped some plastic.

Thanks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Have to confess I've never opened up a 505.

But - I'll wager if you pry the feet off you will find 4 screws underneath.

If I lose that wager - the screws may be behind a door, under the sticker on the back or under the front panel overlay.
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have placed 50 ohm resistors in line with the speaker leads in a few of my kids 'too loud for dad to stand otherwise keeping around' electronic toys.
    my real name, imagine that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin