Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,755   Posts: 1,515,993   Online: 890

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Wickford,Rhode Island, US (suburban/rural)
    Shooter
    35mm

Problem with Opemus IIa enlarger

Hello, I'm new to this list and recently returned to photography a couple of months ago. I inherited an Opemus IIa enlarger which had sat in someone's basement for many years. It's a nice piece of equipment but I've been getting bright spots and wavy lines on my prints. I don't get the same effect when I put the negative in another enlarger. I've cleaned the negatives with film cleaner and lint-free cloth, and cleaned up the glass negative carrier holders. No good. Today I completely disassembled the unit from the light source down to the lens and cleaned up everything I could reach. It was fairly gritty inside. Now I'm still getting the problem, as you may be able to see from the picture excerpt attached. Any suggestions appreciated.
    Chaim Brown
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dots.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Try adjusting the lamp and the condensors.
    Digital is best taken with a grain of silver.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Silly question but what's the lens like? Any signs of fungus?

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by clogz
    Try adjusting the lamp and the condensors.
    Thanks for your reply. The lamp is a simple 75watt incandesant. Are you suggesting to swap it with another 75watt bulb?
    Other suggestion--I am still learning--where/what might be the condensors on this unit?
    Thanks again--

Shooter
    35mm
    to my untrained eye the lens looks clean, except at the upper lens surface there's a small area of distortion just at the very edge. The other factor I failed to mention in my original post is that the spots showing up on the prints move around from one print to the next, almost like there's dust that's floating around inside--but where, I can't guess.
    Thanks for your reply.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The condensors are the big pieces of glass inside the enlarger. Check if they are put in the right way. Also the distance between lamp and negative holder may have to be adjusted. What sort of light bulb have you got now? There are special bulbs for enlargers; an ordinary bulb will not do.Handy website:www.meopta.cz
    Regards
    Hans
    Last edited by clogz; 09-18-2004 at 11:31 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Digital is best taken with a grain of silver.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Based on the supplied photo, you've got dust problems. The lines and spots are actually small hairs (like lint) and dust particles. The guilty party is usually glass in the negative carrier.

Shooter
    35mm
    thanks, I've cleaned the glass 3 or 4 different ways, can you suggest a preferred way of cleaning it?

Shooter
    35mm
    thanks, I think I must need to get an enlarger bulb, the meopta website doesn't seem to list them, can you suggest any other sources? (currently there is a household incandenscent lamp 75w installed)
    Chaim

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    chaim: I've cleaned the glass 3 or 4 different ways, can you suggest a preferred way of cleaning it?

Clean the glass on both sides (both pieces) with a lint-free cloth. Also vacuum the innards of the enlarger - both above and below the negative holder. The dust problem is difficult to solve... Also, handle the negatives with cotton gloves, perhaps wiping them softly before inserting into the neg. carrier.
    I know I also have problems with dust :-(((
    Denis

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin