Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,500   Posts: 1,543,293   Online: 968

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Darkroom Timers

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm in the metronome camp too - there is a timer in-line but I only use its on/off switch. A piece of black foamboard waved under the lens begins and ends the exposure (or if I'm burning sky, I use that card).

In contrast, I use my laptop to time processing of both film and paper (Jobo for film & a red safelight filter over the LCD screen for paper. Free software called LeLab available here does the film & paper timing.

Cheers,

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Gralab 541 for the enlarger, PalmPilot (err, Handspring Visor) for everything else, "fototimer" sw does a great job of managing chemistry process chains, with configuarable metronomes and tones etc and can do things like handle processing times for a variety of different films at different speeds and temperatures that all chain into the same unified sequence of stop/fix/wash, etc. Great stuff and pocketable too, if I'm walking around (which I usually am, when processing film). As I understand it, the program COULD drive a jobo or an enlarger! But I already have the Gralab, which I like a lot.
    Last edited by bjorke; 10-05-2004 at 12:28 AM. Click to view previous post history.

"What Would Zeus Do?"
    KBPhotoRantPhotoPermitAPUG flickr Robot

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Loose Gravel
    For the enlarger, if you are using a coldlight, you will need a compensating timer of some sort. I'm using a MetroLux, actually two of them. It has memories, drydown, lamp decay compensation, timer or compensation timing, shutter speed timer, the buttons have a nice feel, rugged as can be, exposures from 0.1 to 9999 sec. Can be used for platinum printing. Great timer.
    I have a 23C with a zone vi cold light; have not noticed too much drift in exposure times wihtout the compensating timer but I have not gone looking. I'm sure I'd find it and I like the idea of a compensating timer to make it a closed-loop system. I have the Zone VI compensating timer for my slot processor now and love it.

Right now I'm trying to decide whether to buy the Stop Clock Pro Vario to get the compensating portion (plus digital and fstop functions). Unfortunately, I also want to use the Analyzer pro functionaity, but from my reading on the RH Designs website, this isn't recommended because the light fluxuations would cause problems.

How serious is the need for the compensating portion in your humble opinions? Would it really screw up the use of the analyzer? Man, that grayscale display is cool...

Thanks in advance...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Gralab 300. I even get away with keeping one on the kitchen counter!
    Bob Fowler
    fowler@verizon.net
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    i just downloaded foto timer. what a great idea and i will be programming it to the specific films.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hello Heniger,

Don't RH designs have a special AnPro for cold light heads?
    Digital is best taken with a grain of silver.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by unohuu
    i just downloaded foto timer. what a great idea and i will be programming it to the specific films.
    I looked into that a while ago. Great features on both the processing and enlarging sides. I just wish that I had the electronics chops to put together the interface to switch my enlarger.
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by clogz
    Hello Heniger,

Don't RH designs have a special AnPro for cold light heads?
    No. I've heard them state it would be too difficult considering the limited market.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    According to RHDesigns website the AnPro works with cold light heads. Puzzling?!
    Digital is best taken with a grain of silver.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Thanks for the responses so far. Here is a section from the FAQ section on the RH Designs website:

http://www.rhdesigns.co.uk/faq1.html

"Why can't a Vario connect to a ZoneMaster?

The Vario reads the lamp output and adjusts the exposure time to compensate for variations, so for example if the lamp output falls the exposure time is increased. The ZoneMaster, like any exposure meter, also reads the lamp output and if it falls, the meter will suggest a longer exposure time (all other things being equal). Consequently, the combination of the ZoneMaster and Vario will over-compensate for lamp variations. The ZoneMaster relies on a constant lamp output in order to determine the density variations in the negative correctly and thereby calculate the tonal range. The Vario does not have a connector for a ZoneMaster as a result. "

The Analyzer docs say that the unit will handle the power requirments of a cold light:

"Switching capacity of 750 W (500W for 115v versions) handles most enlargers, including cold-cathode types."

Which isn't quite as clear as it should be, but obviously states only that it won't blow the timer out (like other digital timers could).

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin