Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,508   Posts: 1,543,556   Online: 1046

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Paterson reel compatibility

Hello,

Will new Paterson reels (Super System 4) work properly in a Tank System 4 tank?

Thanks
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I believe so, unless they've changed the design again and tinkered with the reel dimensions which seems unlikely to me.

I was in fact just trying to find my eight-reeler which is the newer design; my old two-reeler is the earlier System 4 and I had no trouble interchanging reels between them.

I'm sure others who actually have their developing equipment at hand can chime in with more info. If I find my eight-reeler tonight I'll swap the reels around and update my post.

I've just begun to get back into analog photography, hence my unusual response...
    I would love to use the "FP" flash setting on my camera, but I cannot find "Flash Powder" anywhere... such is life.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Mine all seem to work just fine, so I reckon the answer is yes.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks. I have this Tank System 4 thing that I want to loan to a friend, but it only has one reel in it, and two are needed. I wanted to know if a brand new reel would work with the old one. Sounds like a likely bet. Thanks!
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Some of the smaller system 4 tanks look like they will take 2 35mm size adjusted reels, but they will not quite fit.

The bigger downside is the S4 centre post for this small tank in question is about 1/4" shorter than the 2-35mm reel capable SS-4 tank post.

Yes, I mixed mine up, and got fogged from the light leak betweeen the SS4 funnel and the too short center post.

Live and learn...
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    After searching 5,280 boxes in my house I finally found my Super System 4 tank (it's only a five-reeler, though). The reels are indeed 100% interchangeable.

No kidding- it was stashed in virtually the last box in my house I hadn't gone through! The five-reeler was there along with my faucet temperature gauge and my Dunwright & Vogel EcoWash... I had begun to think I actually tossed the items but if that were so then I **KNEW*** I was crazy since I'm a total pack-rat...
    I would love to use the "FP" flash setting on my camera, but I cannot find "Flash Powder" anywhere... such is life.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Wilde View Post
    Some of the smaller system 4 tanks look like they will take 2 35mm size adjusted reels, but they will not quite fit.
    Thanks for the tip. Indeed, this tank is one of those. I measured, and two reels will not quite fit. I will just suggest that my friend get a new Paterson two-reel tank. Thanks, everyone.
    2F/2F

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I still have a reel from the 1970s that I use in modern Super System 4 tanks. Aside from the yellow hue its plastic has taken, it appears to be identical to my newer reels.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Patterson never changed their reels, just the design of the tanks, and I use modern reels in both system 4 and super system 4 tanks, and my older reels from system 4 in super system 4 tanks without problems,Richard

Shooter
    35mm
    While both types are interchangeable in the tank, the newer ones (the white ones that don't yellow as much with use) pull apart more easily, feed more easily and have less tendency to bind if you are trying to insert a kinked film or if you have a residual trace of moisture in your reel. I have both types and never use the older ones unless I am really short of dry reels. Also, the newer Super System 4 tanks fill and empty faster than the older tanks - important if you processing multiple films in a process with critical timing eg C41
    OzJohn

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin