Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,926   Posts: 1,585,043   Online: 969

Shooter
    Medium Format

Lens Plates for Omega D5

Heading back into the darkroom and I'm looking to fit out my Omega D5 XL with lenses. I have a 3 lens turret and was going to pick up a few Flat Plates with 39mm Threaded Flanges, figuring that these would work on just about any lens I'd be buying.

I was reviewing a link posted on APUG ---- http://www.khbphotografix.com/omega/LensMountD5.htm ---- and was just curious about the site saying I'd need to use an extended plate for a 105mm Rodagon.

I've never worked with extended plates before on the D5, so I wanted to know A) if they're actually necessary? and B) if so, when are they necessary? I just want to make certain I buy the right equipment. (Also, it may be helpful and informative to let you know that for the near future I'll be mainly printing 6x7 and 35mm negs.....eventually getting to 4x5).

Thanks so much!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A) they are necessary; and B) they are always necessary (to ensure that the shorter lenses focus, and the longer lenses don't bind on the turret or mount).
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Large Format
    Matt is right but you can rig some plates with mat spacers, longer screws or imagination to achieve the plate characteristics you need.
    Study the pics on the KBH site to learn the differences.
    "There are a great many things I am in doubt about at the moment, and I should consider myself favoured if you would kindly enlighten me. Signed, Doubtful, off to Canada." (BJP 1914).

Regards
    Bill

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As Matt says, they are necessary . I have a Schneider Componon S 80mm that doesn't "need" an extended plate to focus, but requires one in order for the turret to clear the rear of the lens to rotate. Its always a good idea to check the lens against the chart to ensure it will function properly.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks everyone. I've only ever used the single slide-in lens boards, in which I've never needed the extended plates. This makes more sense to me now.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Agree with all the above. Omega upgraded the 3-lens turret on the D5500 so that M39 lenses can just screw right in and most will have enough room. But on the older D5, that is not the case.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin