Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 73,121   Posts: 1,613,343   Online: 1159

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Enlarger Questions

Okay, time for some anachronistic questions. I am thinking about enlargers. Right now I am using a dark bag for film loading. It works all right. I have no room for a dark room. I can however easily black out a bathroom and have a wet / dry arrangement. It will be cramped, but doable. Obviously I will have to have everything so that it can be taken down and stored when the room is a bathroom.

I have been out of the darkroom for 20 years or so. I always had access to university darkroom so I was in great shape. Now, I don't have that luxury.

Regarding enlargers: I am woefully ignorant. I have done a fair amount of B/W in the past in various formats. I have never done colour, but would like to try it someday. In y'all's opinion what would be some decent enlargers that could be somewhat 'portable' for a situation like mine. Should I just get a B/W and think about colour later? Also, my budget is very limited.

At some point I'm thinking about doing a film photography / dark room class for the local homeschoolers. It is catching on in the circles in which we are involved. At that point I will need to do something else regarding a darkroom, but until then I need to work on my techniques.

Rambling question mode off.
    Sunny 16 works for me.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    For light weight, the Omega C-700, 35mm thru 6x7 without fiddling around too much. Beseler 67, same deal as the Omega. Beseler 23c II or 23c III, BIG rugged versatile, 35mm thru 6x9cm. Some use 4x5 enlargers on rolling carts, makes it easy to set up and put away without lifting the brute(works for the 23c machines). There are plenty of good quality machines still available, just make sure whichever you end up with you can get accessories and parts for.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just move up here, problem solved as I have two enlargers, sink, a jobo and lots of other stuff that will be making up my darkroom soon.
    Thy heart -- thy heart! -- I wake and sigh,
    And sleep to dream till day
    Of the truth that gold can never buy
    Of the bawbles that it may.

www.silverhalidephotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Go to the Darkroom Equipment forum, and look through the two "Sticky" threads at the top for ideas.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    For something light but solid up to 6x6cm use, I've liked the Omega Chromega B I've had for 20+ years bought used. Dichroic color head, handles 16x20 prints no problem. A little smaller than the C700 but I think it uses the same carriers.

Go for a Schneider componon-s, El-Nikkor, or Rodenstock lens for it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    For sturdiness you can't beat a Durst.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'd vote for a 23c2 or 3. dual column construction, allows for up to 6x9 (i believe), readily available parts (beseler still makes the 23c3, but i personally prefer the 23c2), you can get it with a dichro head to use for color, they're beefy as hell, and are a really nice, professional enlarger. The el-nikkor 50mm f2.8 lens i have on my 23c is one of my favorite lenses . The enlarger probably won't fit into the average bathroom cabinet space, but if you have a closet near by, its not so bad to haul the 23c, as long as its not a long distance that involves many cases of stairs, though i have done that one before too.
    Darkrooms are very fun

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Dursts are my favorite for enlargers that are sturdy, but easily moved or taken apart for storage.
    Enlargers with color heads are available for the same money as B&W only units, and the color head makes VC filtration easier.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've run across a Beseler 67 for a REALLY cheap price. Any thoughts on that model?
    Sunny 16 works for me.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Get it , just make sure it has everything its supposed to. It will handle everything up to 6x7cm negs, 35mm, 6x4.5, 6x6, 6x7. I think they are still made, getting parts is relatively easy.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin