Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,573   Posts: 1,545,694   Online: 784

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Source for Macbeth Densitometer manuals &/or parts?

Anyone know if there is a source for MACBETH Densitometer manuals?
    I am looking for one for an RD 91x model.

As well as the standard (Dmin-Dmax) plate.

Thanks

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sorry, no manual at hand. My TD-901 acquired a couple of years ago complete with a manual. My uint was made at a time that the MacBeth product line was owned by the Kolmorton Corp, or something of that name. I could find record of them with web searches at the time.

I presume a reflection denistometer has some sort of integral light source of calibrated stable brightness (or perhaps with feedback to electrically regulated its intensity), and a photomultiplier that senses the reflected light intensity.

Old Kodak darkroom Dataguides have a page in them that is a b&w (glossy I think) photo print that shows a b&w step tablet of about 4-5 steps with density printed to tell you how dense the different patches are.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Kollmorgen.

??
    Will your manual come any closer to your hand... eventually?

I have found a general publication, one that includes the general type & several 900s...
    but a complete dedicated one might be helpful, even if it's the wrong #.

Not in a big hurry so a few weeks/2 months maybe... it it turns up.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think that X-rite owns the former Macbeth business, but I doubt that they have old manuals. You can probably still buy calibration plaques, but they may cost more than your densitometer did - a reflection calibration plaque for an Xrite 810 or 811, etc, ought to work. (I'm presuming that you have a probe that can press down on a surface.) Something I've suggested to people, in the past, is to make a print with a near-black patch (density about 1.80 will probably work), then have someone take density readings for them, of both the white paper base plus the dark patch. Then use this as your calibration plaque.

The normal calibration routine is that you would put your probe down on a white calibration target, while pressing a zero button. Obviously the white plaque is not supposed to read zero, but the aim has to be adjustable somehow (perhaps there is a "zero" knob on the back of the machine?). Then while reading a dark calibration patch, adjust a slope control (perhaps another knob, labeled "slope" or "calibration"?). Assuming that this is a color machine, you would have to zero color, individually. I'm thinking that you can also set slopes, individually, but not sure. Does your machine have controls like this? Note that there will be a limit to adjustability, so you might want to try a test to see what the ranges are.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have had a PM on the manual as well. I will dig it up in a few days and get it posted. Nothing electronic in it, just operator settings and tuning of pots, which on mine I have not needed to touch.

It does mention that the units shipped with a spare bulb in the base. Mine is no longer there. I am waiting to see if the photomultiplier tube dies first, before investing in tracking down a spare light source.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bill View Post
    You can probably still buy calibration plaques, but they may cost more than your densitometer did - a reflection calibration plaque for an Xrite 810 or 811, etc, ought to work.

The normal calibration routine is that you would put your probe down on a white calibration target, while pressing a zero button. Obviously the white plaque is not supposed to read zero, but the aim has to be adjustable somehow (perhaps there is a "zero" knob on the back of the machine?). Then while reading a dark calibration patch, adjust a slope control (perhaps another knob, labeled "slope" or "calibration"?). Assuming that this is a color machine, you would have to zero color, individually. I'm thinking that you can also set slopes, individually, but not sure. Does your machine have controls like this? Note that there will be a limit to adjustability, so you might want to try a test to see what the ranges are.
    Yes, thats pretty right on.
    I would like to contact Peter DeSmidt (sp?) as he may have a manual...
    I can't seem to raise him. Anyone been in contact with him recently?

The machine has cables for a printer and a computer...
    Anyone Know anthing more about these two uses?

Software/Hardwaren needs?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sorry, my manual is for tjhe TD-504. My oops.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Rogers View Post
    The machine has cables for a printer and a computer...
    Anyone Know anthing more about these two uses?

Software/Hardwaren needs?
    I don't know about the printer, but if the computer cable is hardwired into the back, it was probably an extra-cost option for use with Kodak's Technet service. Almost for sure it would be RS-232. If you wanted to play, you could rig up a minimal (3-line) adapter cable to the serial port on your modern computer, and run some sort of simple terminal program. But there's not much practical value - you could write down the numbers nearly as fast.

Regarding the manual, it's probably not worth spending much time on a search. If you can calibrate, and know what the colored buttons on the turret are, that's about it. Plus how to change the lamp and any internal fuses.

Hope you can get it all working and get some use out of it!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Wilde View Post
    Sorry, my manual is for tjhe TD-504. My oops.
    Holy cow, Mike, that's an oldie! I didn't know why you were talking about PMTs, now I see. Probably nixie tubes in the display, too, right? I guess I shouldn't laugh; I used 'em back when they had meter movements, with a mirror stripe behind to be sure you were reading it dead-on.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bill View Post
    Holy cow, Mike, that's an oldie! Probably nixie tubes in the display, too, right?
    Actually this one has large LED digits. I do know what you mean by nixie tubes.

I do have a mid 60's Melico analyser that uses a vaccuum phosphor glow tube that is used to balance the bridge. That is a hold over from 30'/40's radio tuning dials last used to centre on FM staions, I believe. It will be sad when one of the tubes in that thing finally burns up.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin