Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,712   Posts: 1,482,981   Online: 831

Shooter
    4x5 Format

pumping wash water

good day all,

Here's the situation -

I am building a darkroom that has access to water coming in, but not
    going out.

It is going to be in the middle of my garage - not sharing any walls with the outside. On top of that, there are no drains in the garage.

So, my thought is to put a sizeable holding tank under the sink. In the tank
    will be a sump pump that will pump the water up and out, via a hose or pipes, to a point where I can connect with the house drain system.

The least invasive/destructive route would involve pumping up to the garage attic and across to an adjoining room, then down to a drain for our clothes washer.

Anyon out there have a rube goldbergian setup like this?

Thanks,
    Terry

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Home Depot sells pump setups like that for the laundry room, etc. Has tank and pump with float switch. I use one myself for my darkroom. Only problem I ever had with it was when the hose clamps rusted out and the tank overflowed instead of pumping out. It pumps up to the 11 foot ceiling with no problem.
    Gary Beasley

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Sounds sound. There is a design feature you might need to include. That is a "vacuum breaker" which is a modified check valve to a vent. This will allow fluid from the overhead pipe to return both to the drain and some to the sump - no problem. This prevents possible syphoning of water in your drain uncontrolled into the garage in case of a power failure - not recommended. You might be tempted to just include a forward check valve in series. I recommend against this as due to Murphy et al., it will fail when least desirable.
    I love the smell of fixer in the morning. It smells like...creativity!
    Truly, dr bob.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by glbeas
    Home Depot sells pump setups like that for the laundry room, etc. Has tank and pump with float switch. I use one myself for my darkroom. Only problem I ever had with it was when the hose clamps rusted out and the tank overflowed instead of pumping out. It pumps up to the 11 foot ceiling with no problem.
    I agree. I have the same set up, a 10 gal tank with a float switch. It runs on 110 V, draws very little current, pumps for 8-10 sec. every 10 gal. and makes fluids run uphill. All that you need are at the Home Depot: pump, sink drain, PVC pipe and glue. I did it myself. No leaks!

Shooter
    4x5 Format

pumping

Thanks gang, I'm off to Home Depot.

Later,
    Terry

Images
    When I was a kid, I had a similar situation. I used a 5 gallon bucket and then later I adapted my sink down to a hose fitting and ran the hose out on the lawn whenever I printed. The grass grew green.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin