Switch to English Language Passer en langue franÁaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,271   Posts: 1,534,532   Online: 1022

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Help with Time-O-Lite Timer

I just bought a used Time-O-Lite model P-72.

It works fine, but the Time Selector on the dial is incredibly, incredibly stiff to move. I wanted to remove the red pointer knob so I could try to loosen the time-selector. It appears that there are 2 tiny, tiny square head set screws holding the pointer knob in place, but I can not find a tool small enough to fit them.

Does anyone know what I can use to get the pointer knob off? Or am I being too sophisticated and it's just supposed to pop off somehow? Any help would be immensely appreciated. Such a simple fix has gotten very frustrating, but I am determined to loosen the selector.

Thanks so much!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a M-72 it takes a Bristol Spline, Xcelite 99-65 seems to fit just fine.

http://www.cooperhandtools.com/brand...c=037103002907

Note the top description of 6 flutes is wrong, Smaller sizes only have 4 flutes.

Not the most common item.
    Last edited by George Nova Scotia; 04-22-2011 at 02:07 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Unless the company has changed the setscrew specification, the hands of Time-O-Lite timers are secured with #6-32 setscrews with a 4-flute Bristol Drive socket.

If you put a small Allen wrench into the socket youíll strip the socket and have a real mess.

I think the wrench you need is S-069-4.

http://fer3.com/arc/img/114042.spline.pdf

I doubt that the pointer has anything to do with the problem. Thatís likely inside the mechanism. For that you need to contact the company for repair if available.

http://www.industrialtimercompany.com/TOLTmrs.htm

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks for the suggestions on the Bristol wrenches.

Ian, the pointer knob moves very smoothly, it's the time-selector that is stiff. I thought I could try to loosen the dial on the selector, but I'd need to remove the pointer first in order to do that. With such a mechanical system, I thought it would be a fairly DIY adjustment. If you've come across a similar problem and it had to be sent to ITC, I'd love to hear about it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a couple of those, and they are indeed stiff. I dont mind though, they are usually set and left where they are for the process I use them for.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

How to turn Time-O-Lite Timer into an f/stop timer

I use an Omega-branded model and turned it into an f/stop timer...

Each dot is 1/3 stop... In use I memorize the seconds between dots. In this example, 5, 4, 3, 3, 2. During exposure, I wait until I hear it clicking and then I do test strip series or burns and dodges in terms of the memorized clicks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick A View Post
    I have a couple of those, and they are indeed stiff. I dont mind though, they are usually set and left where they are for the process I use them for.
    I've never used one that's not stiff. Maybe they were designed that way to avoid accidental bumping.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think Wade's on to something. It is self resetting, so maybe its was designed to not knock itself from the settings on return.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Mine is stiff too, looking like that's the norm.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." AnaÔs Nin

Shooter
    Large Format
    I examined my P72. The dial requires a fairly strong push to set the pointer to the time wanted. I believe that this is simply part of the design and not a defect.

There is nothing to be gained in removing the time-setting knob.

The resistance you feel is from the mechanism inside the timerónot from the fit of the pointer assembly onto the two concentric shafts that connect to the timer mechanism.

You might want to contact the maker for further clarification.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  ó   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin