Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,764   Posts: 1,516,312   Online: 1039

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Blackout Cloth in LA - Suggestions?

Hi Everyone,
    I'm in the process of setting up a darkroom in a friends garage. There is too much light coming in through the door jams around the garage door as well as the door that one walks through from outside. I want to tack up some blackout cloth but need a direction to start from. I looked for some several years back a regular cloth/sewing shop but they did not have any. Being in LA there might be some at some film production supply stores, but I'm thinking I might find some cheaper at one of the wholesale fabric shops in downtown. This area, known as the garment district is several square blocks of one fabric store after another. Does anyone know offhand the name of one of these shops that carries such an item? Thanks for replies.
    Regards,
    Marc

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    How big are the light leaks? I've had success with just using the foam weather stripping around doors. That way you don't lose the ability to open/close the doors too. Or you can just use the darkroom at night, that's the other option.
    -Austin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Freestly sells or use to sell black out cloth,and I think the stuff they use in motels curtains is light proof.If it is not a to fancy a garage staple some roofing under felt around window frames,buy it by the roll at a roofing warehouse or Home builders Warehouse.

Mike

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The light is coming in through the sides of the both the garage door and the walk-in door, so basically four shafts of light that are pretty strong in mid afternoon which is when I'll probably do my printing on my days off (printing at night might be too inconvenient for the owner). The ones around the walk-in door are pretty wide. Today I took measurements and I need two pieces of cloth, one four yards long one and a half yards wide and another piece four yards long and two and a half yards wide. The garage door and walk-in door are side by side which makes it easy to cover up three light leaking jams with one piece of cloth. I figure one of these fabric shops will be able to cut them to my required sizes. I'll look into the foam weather stripping too.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've got the same problem with my garage door (one car wide). I plan on buying this and rig with a makeshift curtain rod...

http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden...000982078&fp=f
    “I drank what?” - Socrates

Shooter
    Multi Format
    As others have mentioned Freestyle sells a cloth which I think is great. Here is a link ...

http://www.freestylephoto.biz/260110...-1?cat_id=1603

ROL
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have used closeout naugahyde succesfully in past darkrooms. Find the cheapest opaque cloth you can, color is not a factor. Cutting pieces large enough to drape at least 6 or more inches onto the floor should prove sufficiently light-fast to develop film safely.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Walmart and the fabric stores sell heavy black duck canvas that works well and it is cheap.
    You may have to double it up, make a drape to go across the entire door area.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    The stuff from the film supply houses is called "Duvetyne" or "commando cloth" and comes in different thicknesses, depending on how much light you need to stop.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Commando cloth eh? That won't be easy to forget that's for sure. Thanks again for replies. I have to stop at Freestyle this week, so I'll have a look. $15 a yard though...ouch! I was kind of hoping to take care of this minor issue for under $100. Now that I know the trade names, I'll call around to some of those wholesalers in the garment district to see if they stock it. I'll also check into the duck canvass and weather stripping as well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin