Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,930   Posts: 1,585,355   Online: 1070

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The under the lens filter has a diffraction factor and throws the focusing off... Do not use

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I fully agree, but I've never seen a recommendation to use it for focussing.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I was hoping that someone who actually uses a Aristo V45 lamp would be able to tell me, what under the lens safety light works for them? Since the standard lens does not work. I use a safety light when I lay a mask on top of the photographic paper, to burn in a very specific area with white light. The mask has to be put in the exact correct position or a unwanted line will show up on the print.
    Thanks, Grant

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Correction: I just realized I've typing in Aristo V45 lamp, what I should've typed is Aristo V54 lamp!!!!! There is no V45 lamp only a W45 lamp. My mistake!!!
    Grant

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by RalphLambrecht View Post
    No filter is safe. All filters only protect for a certain time. OC filters are a compromise between safety and being able to see. They reach further into the visible spectrum than red filters, making it easier for humans to see. A red filter is as safe as it gets for paper and the best option for under-the-lens safelight filters.
    Good point.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by grant miller View Post
    I was hoping that someone who actually uses a Aristo V45 lamp would be able to tell me, what under the lens safety light works for them? ...
    We did, but you didn't like the answer: 'none'

Any filter allowing you to see the light of this lamp will also fail to protect your paper!

By the way, see the 'edit post' menu after posting a message? That's where you can correct or edit your recent posts for about an hour or so.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have an Aristo V54 cold light that I hardly use. It's pretty blue and only suitable for graded papers. There is very little red in the spectrum of that lamp so it's no surprise that you can't see anything on the baseboard through a red filter. There isn't any red light for the filter to pass. Sorry pal, there is no safe filter going to fix that. You need red light to be somewhat safe, and it just ain't there.
    Frank Schifano

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks Frank. I don't think Grant liked my answer.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Apparently not Ralph. Maybe our little discussion will get Grant interested enough to explore the spectral output of different kinds of lamps. It was a similar discussion I had many years ago with a very old, and now sadly deceased, darkroom rat who put me onto this. And it was just this discussion that led me to the discovery that different lamps will cause variable contrast filters to behave differently when used with different lamp houses. Like the man says, YMMV; and there is no substitute for testing under your darkroom conditions. No two are the same.

BTW, I really like the work in your web site's gallery. Nice control of light. Can't tell where or even if you're using auxiliary lighting, and to me that's the way it's supposed to be. I'm working on it, but I'm not there yet. Now that I've put my toes into the "Dark Side", I'm a lot less hesitant about experimenting since film costs are taken out of the equation, and instant feedback is factored in.
    Last edited by fschifano; 04-29-2011 at 03:10 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Frank Schifano

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fschifano View Post
    ...Maybe our little discussion will get Grant interested enough to explore the spectral output of different kinds of lamps. It was a similar discussion I had many years ago with a very old, and now sadly deceased, darkroom rat who put me onto this. And it was just this discussion that led me to the discovery that different lamps will cause variable contrast filters to behave differently when used with different lamp houses. ...
    I have two book recommendations on that subject:

Eastman Kodak Company, Kodak Filters, Kodak Publication B-3, 1981
    This book is for scientists whose use of filters requires extensive spectrophotometric data. However, the graphical representation of light transmission clearly illustrates filter functionality to all.

and

Thomas Woodlief, Jr., SPSE Handbook of Photographic Science and Engineering, John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 1973
    This reference book reminds us of many things previously learned but not regularly used. In 1,400 pages, compiled by over 100 contributors, it provides very technical information about any possible aspect of photography. The book is directed at the experienced, practicing engineer and scientist. Almost every section of the book contains tutorial material but not enough for the beginner to learn an unfamiliar field.

The 1st contains the spectral data for filters and the 2nd for numerous types of light sources. A small spreadsheet can easily calculate the resulting output.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin