Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,972   Posts: 1,523,587   Online: 915

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Need a source for SS developing tank caps

Does anyone know of a source for SS developing tank caps for SS lids?

I took possession of several SS developing tanks as part of a package of darkroom equipment I bought recently. Unfortunately, five of the tanks are missing the caps. I want to sell the tanks, and I think they would be more attractive to buyers if they had caps.
    Bob Walberg

The fix is in!

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Unfortunately, SS tank parts are weirdly unique to their original brethren. If you have a ss tank, tank lid, and tank lid cap, they are only ever going to fit properly with each other. You start mixing them up and things won't go on, or won't stay on, or will leak, etc. So even if you find someone with 5 loose caps to sell you, it's not going to be easy to make any of them actually fit. And this is why you're not going to find a source of new replacement caps: there's no point.

So your best bet at this point is going to be finding a source for those black plastic caps you see on some tanks. Those can stretch to fit any tank lid more or less.

Duncan

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I've gotten generic replacement tops for my Kinderman ss tanks from Calumet. They are flexible enough to form a tight fit and have a daylight filling cap.

http://www.jeffreyglasser.com/

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I just checked the Calumet website and they have in stock the plastic tank tops @$6.49.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    B&H has them too, but it's always best to actually try them on your tanks to see if the fit. Maybe Brandon, MB has a used camera store?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a brand new plastic replacement lid and cap for SS tanks, they fit almost all standard diameter tanks, not large diameter ones though. PM me if interested.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum
    BTW: the big kid in my avatar is my hero, my son, who proudly serves us in the Navy. "SALUTE"

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Freestyle Photo has some, but it may not fit your exact tanks. They are Arista brand, I think.
    www.gregorytdavis.com

Did millions of people suddenly disappear? This may have an answer.

"No one knows that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." -Matthew 24:36

Shooter
    Multi Format
    SS development tanks are not worth much on secondary market. I'm not sure if it is worth for the seller to go through the trouble and expense. (although it would be nice). You might just sell them as "cap missing".
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I they are the 2 (35mm) reel variety, they may not be worth the effort. If they are 1 reel or 4 reel, they might.
    "Far more critical than what we know or do not know is what we do not want to know." - Eric Hoffer

Shooter
    Multi Format

Additional Information

All components of these tanks are SS. Here is an example

Sizes are 2, 4, & 8 reel (35mm measure). I've tried the plastic cap on the metal lid, but the plastic cap isn't deep enough. Replacing the SS lids with plastic lids & caps is an expensive option, but an option nonetheless. The tanks that are complete are Brooks tanks. The Brooks caps are too small in diameter to fit the other tank lids. Of the five tanks missing caps, one is a Nikkor and the brand of the other four is unknown (stamped "Made in Japan").
    Bob Walberg

The fix is in!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin