Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,975   Posts: 1,523,639   Online: 1115

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 16x20 question

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks, all! I used 3 L today (I have Cesco trays for developer and stop) and it worked fine. The rest of the process, now that's another story... Well, the prints turned out ok, mostly. But man is it a PITA to deal with paper that big! And then getting the liquid out of each tray afterwards without spilling everywhere (I'm not exactly musclebound). I don't like getting chemicals on my hands, so I used two tongs for each chem - only dropped or knocked 5 onto the sink or the floor. I think I only scratched one (probably with the glass plate when I put it down) and I think only one has a slight bend in it (and it's outside the image area). I got 9 16x20 prints (from 2 14x17 plates) and 3 11x14 prints (all the same) done in nearly 4 hours. Need to do some adapting and modifying before next week.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Sounds Great. Wow those are big. Imagine the camera.
    Please bring prints to show NE OH Gathering May 6-8.

John
    "If you want to be famous, you must do something more badly than anybody in the entire world." Miroslav Tichý

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Dear Bethe,

Try using examination gloves rather than tongs for large prints.

Neal Wydra

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Agree with Neal about the gloves. I NEVER use tongs for any size over 8x10. Dimpled prints are such a shame. Also, if the trays are too big to lift, tilt them and use a beaker, like a one or two liter one, and take most of the liquid out that way first. Makes it easier to get the last bit out.

marek
    Marek Warunkiewicz

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yeah, use gloves with prints that large, as Marek suggests. Much more secure than tongs, especially with RC paper, which is slicker on the back side.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    tilt them and use a beaker, like a one or two liter one, and take most of the liquid out that way first.
    Yup, did that.
    The only problem with gloves is that I'd end up going through nearly a box and I don't have any right now. Gotta stock up before I do more. I'm also very picky about gloves having worked in a lab and they'll probably end up costing me more than the chemicals do.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I wear just one glove. That way I have a hand that I use to handle the dry paper, and another hand that I can get wet. The gloved hand gets rinsed regularly, and can hold a tong.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I print only fiber paper at that size (Ilford MG warm tone). I use about 6 liters of ilford multigrade diluted 1+9. The larger volume of solution means I can get the print under the solution quickly during the initial development stages. I wear a fresh pair of disposable nitril gloves for each print to keep contamination from happening and to keep myself from developing sensitivities. I took a lot of printmaking classes during my undergrad and I value safety. It also allows me to handle the prints under the enlarger without worrying about leaving finger prints. It's easier than putting on cloth gloves to do the enlarging then taking them off to do the chemical baths.

I develop the sheets face down for most of the process to prevent fogging from the safelights. I have about 1/2 inch of white edge around the paper giving me somewhere to handle it.

I usually take advantage of the large 16x20 tray after running a 16x20 edition to bang off a ton of personal 8x10's on RC paper. I can develop up to 8 sheets at once if I don't screw up.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Blog Entries
    Images
    This has been interesting to me as I want to move up to 16x20 as well. The only thing holding me back is not having trays or a print washer that large yet. I only have an 11x14.

It's funny everyone mentioning about using gloves. I always just use my bare hands in the chemicals. How harmful could they possibly be? I do use gloves for toning though. I can only imaging how hard it would be to handle large paper like that though!

Images
    Use gloves. Just do it. 16x20 is actually not that hard to handle if you have the room. I have been unlucky enough to do them in a friends friggin bathroom and lucky enough to do them in a proper darkroom with enough space to line the trays up. Once the logistics are figured out it just works.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin