Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,693   Posts: 1,548,966   Online: 789

Shooter
    Medium Format

Filter drawer for Beseler 45

The enlarger I have is missing the filter drawer that goes between the two condenser lenses. Would there be any problem with just tossing 6"x6" multigrade filters cut to shape in there?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As long as the filter covers the entire surface of the condenser with no white light spilling around the side it should work fine.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    No problem as long as it works. The filter drawer is made of thin clear plastic with a metal rim around the edge. So, it supports the filter and keeps it flat. I made a replacement out of cardboard, but it was fugly, and stopped a lot of light around the edges. I was glad to find the real drawer for cheap here on APUG.
    If you are the big tree, we are the small axe

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Though i'm sure it would work, I don't believe that it would be the best set up. Taking apart the condenser every time you want to change the contrast isn't exactly promoting a fun darkroom experience. If you've got the smaller drawer that's used for the red filter, i'd say use that. I cut filters down to fit in mine for both my 23c and my 45m, they both have the same size drawer. That said though, if you did have the filter drawer up top, that is a better set up. The other option would be to get an under-lens set up, but i personally am not a fan of that. Otherwise look around for that condenser house with the drawer. I'd offer mine up, but it's my back up in case my cold light head dies, or for when i do use condensed light.
    The other option would be to DIY a filter drawer, if you're handy...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Luseboy View Post
    Though i'm sure it would work, I don't believe that it would be the best set up. Taking apart the condenser every time you want to change the contrast isn't exactly promoting a fun darkroom experience.
    That isn't exactly how it works.

The drawer is just that, a drawer, but the opening (the dresser if you will ) is still there.
    If you are the big tree, we are the small axe

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by holmburgers View Post
    That isn't exactly how it works.

The drawer is just that, a drawer, but the opening (the dresser if you will ) is still there.
    Oh i was misunderstanding. I was thinking it was one of the newer style ones that doesn't even have the opening. One of my heads has this. Well in that case, go at it!

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin