Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,936   Posts: 1,585,628   Online: 741

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by brian steinberger View Post
    Just to update everyone, I got the new bulb today and that's what it was. I measured the light wide open at grade 2 with a Darkroom Automation enlarging meter at a certain height with the old bulb and got a measurement of 3.4. As soon as I put the new bulb in and turned it on I could tell a huge difference. The meter now measured 6.8, twice as much light!! I'm happy that this was the problem. Now I need to write that measurement down and remember to check it several months from now.
    As I said before, the minute your prints lose their sparkle, change the bulb. The lamps will continue to give a lot of light long after they are useful for printing..EC

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by eclarke View Post
    As I said before, the minute your prints lose their sparkle, change the bulb. The lamps will continue to give a lot of light long after they are useful for printing..EC
    This sounds like voodoo to me.

As long as you can correct for the yellow color shift of an aging bulb with the magenta filtration, you should not have any "loss of sparkle".
    Kirk

For up from the ashes, up from the ashes, grow the roses of success!

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Blog Entries
    Images
    What or who exactly would use the bulb after it's photo printing life is over?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by brian steinberger View Post
    I measured the light ... with a Darkroom Automation enlarging meter ... with the old bulb and got a measurement of 3.4. ... I put the new bulb in and ... now measure 6.8, twice as much light!!
    Er. that's in stops. 3.4 -> 6.8 = 3.4 stops increase = 2 ^ 3.4 = 10.6 times more light

Multiplying stops (multiplying logarithms) is the same as raising the underlying linear measurement to a power - it doesn't make much sense to say "the new light is equal to the old light squared".

Keeping track of light intensity is standard practice in graphic arts. It is a good idea in the darkroom too. Note the measurement conditions and meter reading on a 3x5 card. Keep the card with the enlarger and check the light output periodically, comparing it with the new. An enlarging meter (or graphic arts integtrator) will compensate the exposures as the light grows dim and a failing lamp can catch up with you.

An incandescent lamp will lose a lot of intensity at the end of life as the metal from the filament gets deposited on the bulb glass.
    Last edited by Nicholas Lindan; 05-12-2011 at 08:58 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Thanks for clarifying Nicholas. I was questioning myself when I originally typed that. So a 3.4 stop increase.. WOW!

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Keyes View Post
    This sounds like voodoo to me.

As long as you can correct for the yellow color shift of an aging bulb with the magenta filtration, you should not have any "loss of sparkle".

It might be "voodoo", notice the obnoxious quote marks, but the OP had a problem with bad prints and the new bulb fixed it. Bulbs are $12 and paper is $2 a sheet, using fresh bulbs is a no-brainer....EC

Shooter
    35mm
    Is it usually the bulb? I'm having a similar issue with a beseler, except I'm getting into the couple of minutes to tens of minutes for exposures. I don't think the negatives are particularly dense or fogged for that matter, and I'm not really sure why I'm getting such long times for any of them.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sage View Post
    Is it usually the bulb? I'm having a similar issue with a beseler, except I'm getting into the couple of minutes to tens of minutes for exposures. I don't think the negatives are particularly dense or fogged for that matter, and I'm not really sure why I'm getting such long times for any of them.

Well, bulbs make light by burning their components so they are never exactly the same, ever. Scrimping on bulbs is poor economy..Tty a new one..EC

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    divinelighting.com has them for $6.49. Just got mine.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by eclarke View Post
    Well, bulbs make light by burning their components so they are never exactly the same, ever. Scrimping on bulbs is poor economy..Tty a new one..EC
    Evan, is this something you just set a date and replace, like every year? Or do you determine it by how many hours you're printing?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin