Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,931   Posts: 1,556,929   Online: 1101

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

6X7 negative carrier

How can I mask off my 6X9 carrier to 6X7? Is this practical/possible as a temporary measure? I am trying to find a 6X7 carrier for my Beseler 23C2.
    Thanks,
    Gerry

Shooter
    Large Format

Making a Format-Reducing Mask

Take a sheet of paper and leave it in the room lights and develop, fix, and wash it in a lighted room, as you want it black.

Layout the width of the film with pencil and ruler and layout the window opening you want. Cut out the window with a single-edged safety razor. It’s easier to cut the width with scissors.

Simply lay the mask on top of the negative on the carrer, close the carrier and put it in the enlarger in the usual manner.

Shooter
    Large Format
    If the locating pins of the carrier make this difficult you can place the mask on top of the top plate and secure it with two small pieces of easily removable (low tack) drafting tape.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for the directions. I'll give that a try.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I cut a piece of rubylith to hold 6x6 in my 6x7 carrier. I know this isn't much difference compared to 6x9 with 6x7 but it seems to work, especially since there is generally enough extra film that it is fully supported by the carrier in my case.
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hpulley View Post
    I cut a piece of rubylith to hold 6x6 in my 6x7 carrier. I know this isn't much difference compared to 6x9 with 6x7 but it seems to work, especially since there is generally enough extra film that it is fully supported by the carrier in my case.
    Thanks for the info. Seems it is not too much of a task.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I like to see the whole frame so I just use a 6x9 carrier for 6x7 and no masking. Seems to work for me. I do the same with 645 in a 6x6 carrier. Try a test with masking and no mask and see what you think.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Like ChuckP indicated. Just use the 6x9 carrier. I'll bet that people that crop 6x9cm negatives to 8x10 or 11x14 paper format when printing don't mask the negative down to 6x7 in the carrier

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Agreed, unless you're trying to print the negatives on the end of your strip, just crop with your easel. I personally like to have a lot of light leak around my negative onto the paper, it centers the image better i feel, and gives the whole thing a bit more interest. that may or may not be what you like to do, but either way, you can still crop out all the light leak with your easel. This is most successfully done with a 4-blader

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks again to all for your input. Much appreciated.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin