Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,337   Posts: 1,537,588   Online: 1138

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Help with Chromegatron Pro Lab Color Analyzer

Hi All -

I just purchased an Omega Chromegatron Pro Lab Color Analyzer off of eBay. The unit powers up. However, when first powered up, the needle jumped to the right of the meter, then back left and hasn't moved since.

No amount of dialing, tweaking or variation of light manages to move the needle. The unit - which continues to power up - otherwise looks like it's in good condition.

Any ideas (besides getting my money back)?

Thanks -

Tony

Shooter
    Multi Format

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    While I concur the manual is very useful place to start, a few other questions come to mind.

Are you testing this thing in the darkroom, illuminating the probe by the light of the enlarger?

Some analysers can 'saturate' and then stop working for a while when exposed to regular room lighting.

The other explanation is that the photomultiplier tube, which I am guessing your unit may contain, may have cooked off on power up.

Do you have experience with other analysers, to confirm how to expect how the thing is to work, or is this your first analyser?
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have two of them, plus the instruction manual, but not the factory maintenance/calibration manual. If the lights light, it probably can be made to work. But the factory maintenance/calibration manual is an absolute necessity, and I've never seen one. They must exist, and a few shops are willing to repair and calibrate this model of color analyzer. Shop around but, if you are technically adept - very adept - and have the instruction manual, you can copy/enlarge the schematic and try to troubleshoot the device yourself. I recommend saving for a new color analyzer and calling the Chromegatron a 'valuable learning experience.' Get your money back if you can.
    [FONT="Arial"][/FONT]John Weinland

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin