Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,550   Posts: 1,544,820   Online: 1067

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

Beseler 23C series II negative stage alignment

Hi all,

Yesterday I received a Parallel laser leveling device. It was very easy to get the lens in perfect alignment with the baseboard of the enlarger. I also checked the negative stage and it's a bit off, but I don't see any means for adjustment. Is there something I'm missing?

Perhaps instead of starting withe the lens I should first align the negative stage, but then what - can the lensboard be shimmed? I see screws there but don't know if they are there for attachment or adjustment.

Thanks,

Jeff

P.S.
    I also learned with a quick laser test that my Saunders easel doesn't sit flat at all, and needed to be shimmed. Glad I bought the laser.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Do you have a manual for your enlarger?

The manual I have for the 23C series III enlarger answers your question for that version. It may be applicable to yours.

If you need a pdf of that emailed to you, send me your email address (it is too big to post in the thread).
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I put a piece of SMPTE RP-40/PA-35 test film into the gate and use that to align my enlarger.

It's all a matter of tinkering and fiddling to get it right. The pivot screw under the lens is where I make the adjustment.

First I put a level on the base board and ensure that is flat then I put a piece of glass in the stage and level that by aligning the carriage and rails. Then, finally, with the test film, I adjust the pivot screw until the test pattern is in focus, edge to edge and corner to corner.

It's not hard to do. It's just detail oriented and takes time.
    Randy S.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

-----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post

If you need a pdf of that emailed to you, send me your email address (it is too big to post in the thread).
    I just PMd you Matt, thanks.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Here's a couple Beseler manuals I've collected. I scanned the 23CII XL; the others are from elsewhere:

http://www.125px.com/docs/manuals/darkroom/beseler/

Shooter
    Large Format
    jawarden,

"Yesterday I received a Parallel laser leveling device. It was very easy to get the lens in perfect alignment with the baseboard of the enlarger. I also checked the negative stage and it's a bit off, but I don't see any means for adjustment. Is there something I'm missing?"

FIRST, check that the mounting screws for the frame to base board are tightened. Where the head assm. mounts to the chassis to pivot are 2 screws from the rear, loosen these to adjust for left-right alignment, recheck while tightening. Use the adjuster bolt at the bottom the adjust front-back alignment. Recheck lens alignment with the lens adjustment screw for left-right alignment, front-back alignment should be spot-on to the neg. stage unless the unit was dropped.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Thanks Tim, thanks phfitz. I'll look back into it again tonight.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin