Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,836   Posts: 1,582,401   Online: 894

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Hard Rubber tanks

A special tanks to Kodak for the four 8x10 tanks I have, never thought they would give out due to their indestructible makeup. I started to do a line and noticed that one had a crack down the long side, like a lightening bolt. I used it for the pre-wash and it was fine.

I developed six sheets on hangers, of course, and then stop rinse and fix. When I examined them in the light they had a series of lines like an exposure test on the long edge. It took some time to figure out what it was. At first I thought maybe some how the focus cloth was in the way but then I noticed that the level of developer had dropped in the tank. Sure enough right at the corner the developer was spraying out in a long vertical line. During the development it provided a step wedge.

Fortunately I use the Ansel Adams system of shooting two identical frames so I have to tray develop the next set or use one of my last tanks for the developer. I have four tanks in 8x10 and now two have cracks. Time to go stainless steel or another way. Maybe some Plexiglas or Fiberglas?

The negatives were of Half Dome and Yosemite.

Curt
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Curt View Post
    A special tanks to Kodak for the four 8x10 tanks I have, never thought they would give out due to their indestructible makeup. I started to do a line and noticed that one had a crack down the long side, like a lightening bolt. I used it for the pre-wash and it was fine.

I developed six sheets on hangers, of course, and then stop rinse and fix. When I examined them in the light they had a series of lines like an exposure test on the long edge. It took some time to figure out what it was. At first I thought maybe some how the focus cloth was in the way but then I noticed that the level of developer had dropped in the tank. Sure enough right at the corner the developer was spraying out in a long vertical line. During the development it provided a step wedge.

Fortunately I use the Ansel Adams system of shooting two identical frames so I have to tray develop the next set or use one of my last tanks for the developer. I have four tanks in 8x10 and now two have cracks. Time to go stainless steel or another way. Maybe some Plexiglas or Fiberglas?

The negatives were of Half Dome and Yosemite.

Curt
    Sounds like a dangerous darkroom practice!

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Do they get moved a lot while full of liquid? I personally have never seen one of those things crack. The thinner plastic ones they made later were flimsier, and the SS are nearly indestructible, but I would have thought the hard rubber ones would outlast us all. I hope you find a suitable replacement.
    www.gregorytdavis.com

Did millions of people suddenly disappear? This may have an answer.

"No one knows that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." -Matthew 24:36

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I had two tanks that I tried for months to give away here and there were no takers. I ended up dumping them in the recycle bin.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    I had two tanks that I tried for months to give away here and there were no takers. I ended up dumping them in the recycle bin.
    I think I remember that, I only decided to use them again for a recent batch of negatives. In actuality the 8x10 tanks are only good for a replenished line. They are what, 12 liters, that's a lot of developer.

I wonder if they cracked because they were in a storage area that was extremely cold to rather hot.

Is there an automated system that can do a half dozen sheets at a time? And what to do with all these hangers. I guess the solution, so to speak, is to make some narrow tanks to use with hangers. I have a couple of 5x7 tanks that are half size which is very handy for developer conservation.

When the 8x10 tanks are full it's very difficult to just pick up and pour out so I carefully tilt them over being careful not to just use the top lip to lift. I like hangers and am not fond of tray development, and with trays there is no stand development for a stack of film.

Curt
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Why not a bead of silicone caulkig down the inside and a few turns of self amalgamating tape around the outside to hold it together?

I would hate to see these tanks trashed.

I have two 4x5 ones now and I am searching patiently for more 4x5 ones with the floating lids at the right price to do a dev/stop/fix sequenece, and be able to adapt with a spare or more to do a line of e-6.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Second the silicone caulking idea - you should be able to save them, or at least the one with the corner issue.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I have had pin-holes form in Stainless tanks and end up with diluted chemicals also... It was our fixer... photos came out cloudy and unclear couldn't figure it out till we noticed the swirly mixing tell-tails near a pin-hole when we poured in fresh fixer.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Wilde View Post
    I have two 4x5 ones now and I am searching patiently for more 4x5 ones with the floating lids at the right price to do a dev/stop/fix sequenece, and be able to adapt with a spare or more to do a line of e-6.
    Mike,
    I have four 4x5 tanks, three with never-used lids. Purchased new around 1968 and seldom used; decided on tray processing instead. PM me if interested and we can discuss.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin