Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,536   Posts: 1,544,094   Online: 1017

Shooter
    Multi Format

Rescue Thermometer - any hope?

I have a Kodak Colour thermometer which has got a big line of fluid at the very top of the scale and a big line of blank space in the middle -- due to years of neglect, probably sitting at the wrong angle or cross-country travel at the wrong angle, etc.

I put it in the freezer and then when it warmed up, it now has several disconnected lines and the big line at the top seems unchanged.

I have two other thermometers: a Paterson and an Omega that agree to a half degree C.

Should I just dispose of the Kodak? The fluid seems blue. Can it just be thrown out without special handling?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You may be able to revive the Kodak thermometer by arranging to spin it and let centrifugal force do the work. Spin it so that the bulb end is farthest out and well supported. Blue thermometer fluid is probably colored alcohol and should be safe for the general trash, though.
    Geo.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    All it needs is to be heated just enough to drive the fluid to the top and reconnect the gaps. Theres a slight bulb at the top for expansion but still be careful not to overheat.
    Gary Beasley

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    It originally came with instructions to fix this. Place it in a dish of water and place that on the stove set on low. Watch it carefully as it slowly heats up and remove it from the heat once all air bubbles are at the top. Keep it in the water, but let them cool to room temperature. This pdf has instructions. It is for a is different model, but it works the same.
    Attached Files
    www.gregorytdavis.com

Did millions of people suddenly disappear? This may have an answer.

"No one knows that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." -Matthew 24:36

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin