Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,702   Posts: 1,482,653   Online: 644

Vancouver, Canada (I also have a USA shipping address)
    Shooter
    Multi Format

first time developing at home

thinking about trying to develop film at home for the first time
    i've done it at school
    wondering where do you buy the chemicals at the cheapest cost - im in vancouver canada
    my needs: b&w 120 film then scanned not printed
    Last edited by chij; 05-25-2011 at 05:02 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    it is the mystery too for me here in indonesia.
    I'm thinking about self-composing the chemicals, maybe it could be cheaper.

but I'm no good in chemistry
    good luck btw!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by chij View Post
    thinking about trying to develop film at home for the first time
    i've done it at school
    wondering where do you buy the chemicals at the cheapest cost - im in vancouver canada
    my needs: b&w 120 film then scanned not printed
    The three best local sources are all in Vancouver and are Beau Photo on Granville at 6th?, Lens and Shutter's main store on Broadway and Leo's Cameras on the Granville mall. Beau Photo has what used to be called bankers' hours.

Some of the Kerrisdale Cameras have some.

Lens and Shutter's new downtown store has some too.

There is a small store in white rock on 16th that has some.

For a wide selection, the best choices are the internet and Glazer's in Seattle.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

sly
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I can second the recommendation for Beau Photo. I order alot of my darkroom supplies from them. They seem to have a wider selection than Lens and Shutter. As a BCer who actively avoids Vancouver, I've not been IN any of the stores. Beau has always been very friendly and helpful with mail order.

If you want to be completely overwhelmed by choice - go to Glazers in Seattle. I've been there once. Wow!

Vancouver, Canada (I also have a USA shipping address)
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    any suggestions on where to buy online

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Photographer's Formulary is great. They are in Montana, so I do not know if there are border issues. A $30 PMK kit will last you a year (or longer,depending on how much you develop). No stop solution is needed.

Their TF-4 fixer from the Formulary is absolutely bulletproof, but first I would call around Vancouver photo places that have recently done away with c-41 processing. C-41 fixer is just as good, and many places have gallons of it in storage, too busy to take to chem recycling place. I have nearly lifetime supply this way for free, unless it goes bad with age.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Take a look and surf in www.freestylephoto.biz, in my opinion the largest selection in film and darkroom supplies
    Regards
    Matias

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I assume you're just starting out, but in terms of economical, HC110 film developer and dektol print developer is a great way to begin. Every combination has its strengths, but you'de be starting out with two irrefutable standards with a lot of flexibility. Congrats on taking control of your art.
    "There is a time and place for all things, the difficulty is to use them only in their proper time and places." -- Robert Henri

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin