Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,592   Posts: 1,546,013   Online: 963

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    EVERY darkroom that I ever worked in had the sink too low for the average height of the users that shared it.

When the time came for building the cabinets for my darkroom sink, I propped up trays to the final height that was usuable for me... Now, I enjoy working at my sink... No more sore backs hovering over a sink that at the wrong height.

I'd have to measure it, but I'm sure it's at least 6" higher than standard counter height.... After all, you want to stand and work, not hunch over...

joe

The outside/front lip of the splash panel is about 2" below the height of my bent elbow. The sink bottom is then 5" below that level.

steve simmons

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    After forty years of doing this for a living, I can give you the absolute definitive answer.

(1) Take up beer drinking as a hobby.

(2) Visit every bar within a ten-mile radius of your lab. Twice.

(3) Take a tape measure and make careful note of the more comfortable dimensions.

It is extremely important to be able to lean your forearms both on your favorite neighborhood bar and on your darkroom sink rail. For every hour you spend in the studio or on location, you will spend a working day in the dark.

Images
    [QUOTE=John Cook]After forty years of doing this for a living, I can give you the absolute definitive answer.

(1) Take up beer drinking as a hobby.....QUOTE]

I'll drink to that! BURP!
    hi!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by John Cook
    After forty years of doing this for a living, I can give you the absolute definitive answer.

(1) Take up beer drinking as a hobby.

(2) Visit every bar within a ten-mile radius of your lab. Twice.

(3) Take a tape measure and make careful note of the more comfortable dimensions.

It is extremely important to be able to lean your forearms both on your favorite neighborhood bar and on your darkroom sink rail. For every hour you spend in the studio or on location, you will spend a working day in the dark.
    LOL, funny how some advice that might sound outlandish is actually right on the button. I never thought of this, but you are right, some bars are very comofortable.....guinnes anyone?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'll drink to that!

My processing sink is the kitchen sink and it's the height my wife likes it. I get to use it if I'm nice or I beg enough.

During the early spring I built a fiberglass sink to improve my darkroom. I use to work off a 36 inch counter top but found that this was too low for my tastes.

I prefer to stand while doing the wetside and decided to raise my sink to a comfortable height for me. The top lip of my sink (where I rest my arms) is at 43 inches and the sink bottom is at approximately 40 inches.

I also have a stool in the darkroom which I sometimes sit on and the height of the stool works very well with this sink height. I have always felt that standard kitchen and bathroom cabinets are too low for my personal comfort. I believe the standard makes it easier for children and shorter people but does not address the comforts of taller folks and those who do not wish to bend over that much.

Just my opinion and what works for me. Also by raising my sink a bit higher, I now have more storage area below to hold the 20x24 trays and a variety of other things.

Kind Regards,
    Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You should also think about your back in another sense. Those old foot rails in the old time bars/pubs were a very good idea. We tend to bend over or brace ourselves in such a way that it is the worst position for our backs. With the foot rail, we put one foot up and stand in such a position that it is the optimum position for our backs. Leave a space at the bottom ot simulate the foot rail ro do the real thing and instal a foot rail. Your back will love you for it. This besides getting the correct height.

BTW I am only 5'8" and most counters are too short for me too. I agree they were made more for a pre teen child.
    Non Digital Diva

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Images
    Matt Miller, Try this...While standing straight with your arms at your side, have your wife measure from the floor to your elbows. That measurement, minus 6 to 8 inches should be about right for the bottom of the sink. By bottom I mean the working surface where your trays will be.

Images
    I'm 6'1.5" The sink is 39", The top of the edge of the sink is 45". The shelf and footrail underneath is 9.5" I can slop around in there pretty good and not mess the place. Good height for slouching over the trays. Can still do it okay on a stool. Front to back is 36". Eight feet long. Made of 1/8" PVC.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin