Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,012   Posts: 1,524,700   Online: 828

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Jobo CPE-2 motor overhaul

Howdy,

Only after 3 darkroom sessions since I bought it (used, of course), my Jobo CPE-2's motor cried enough. It was always going to be a risk, as when I bought the processor it wasn't running, but this was due to a failed power supply. I had been running it using a 19V 30amp lab supply, so I am pretty sure I had not caused it to fry (after some research, I had found the the jobo CPE-2 supply was 18 volts Max)! What happened is it started to progressively get noisier and then stopped turning.

Anyhow, there was nothing to be lost, so I decided to pull it apart to see why and IF I could fix it.

Below is the exploded view. As you can see, there is plenty of grease in the gearbox

Jobo CPE-2 Motor, Exploded view by hoffy37

Looking at the bell end, you can see quite a bit of black around the brushes, suggesting a lot of arcing

Jobo CPE-2 Motor, Bell End by hoffy37

The can and magnets all look fine, but the can end of the shaft and the bush did seem quite dry

Jobo CPE-2 Motor, Can End by hoffy37

The armature shows a lot of carbon buildup, again suggesting bad contact

Jobo CPE-2 Motor, Armature by hoffy37

And finally, the culprit. My suspicions is that this brush caused the motor to fail finally.

Jobo CPE-2 Motor, Burnt Brush by hoffy37

It looks like the plastic has melted, which has deformed the slot. The brush had been rocking backwards and forwards and would not move freely in the slot. I am surmising that this has caused bad contact, arcing and heat buildup and finally failure.

I tried to clean the arm and the brushes as good as I could and re-assembled the motor. It seemed to spin fine in one direction, but was really sluggish in the opposite. To me, this suggests that the rocking brush is probably the cause for this bad performance. I had thought about working out a way to sleeve the brush slot, but haven't come up with a good solution yet.

But, I have also been looking for replacements. I was wondering whether something like this would be OK (yes, I would be up for some cutting and shutting to get things to fit):
    http://www.crestmi.com.au/planetaryGearMotor.php
    I am afraid that this may be as gutless as the original Jobo motor, as it only gives 0.06Nm at 12V, but it would easily fit(with a bit of fettling)

The other option from this website is a 10W 0.83Nm motor, that will spin at 83rpm @ 12V. This one is a bit more of a tighter squeeze, which will probably mean moving some of the components to get it to fit, but it should be possible
    http://www.crestmi.com.au/DC_precisi...motors.php#Z2D

The other thing to note is these motors have 8mm shafts, so I would need to make an adapter.

I hope this at least shows others what the internals look like and hopefully give someone some inspiration (or give me some advice on how to fix this one!)

Cheers
    Last edited by hoffy; 05-29-2011 at 05:11 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Nice post Hoffy. I have an older CPP-2 and occasionally think about what I'll do when it finally craps out. Have you contacted the JoboMan. He seems to be the go to guy for JOBO questions and parts. Maybe he'd be able to point you in the right direction regarding a suitable replacement motor.

http://www.darkroomdoctor.com/Home_Page.php

ZoneIII has a thread, http://www.apug.org/forums/forum43/4...a-2-owner.html, and he mentions a second possible source for parts/information but I keep getting a DNS error so I'm not sure if the link is good or not.

Thanks for the pictures and good luck with the repairs.

-Raul

the villages .centralflorida,USA and Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hoffy

These are the contact details for the former Jobo Plant Manager(?). He is now retired and makes a living repairing and servicing Jobo's equipment. I haven't dealt with him yet, but he might be able to help you.

Fotolaborservice
    Klaus Dieter Seynsche
    Feldstraße 41
    51702 Bergneustadt
    Tel: 02261 – 41114
    www.fotolaborservice.de
    info@fotolaborservice. de
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Thanks rcam and Ralph. I have sent some emails. I'll see what they say and report back.

Cheers

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Klaus probably won’t be able to help you sadly; I contacted him recently to ask about a motor for my cpe2 since it died. He explained that the only option was to buy a motor for the cpe2+ which needs modding to fit the processor case, he sells them for around 100 Euros.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Actually, that may be a good thing, because the CPE-2 motor was just too weak. I bought a used CPE-2 Plus after my CPE-2 died and I'm much happier with it. It cost me less than 100 Euros by the way, but I wouldn't mind to fit a new motor into the old CPE-2, just in case.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You should be able to buy replacement brushes. Jobo didn't make the motor - if you can find out who did then you may be able to find brush kits.
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Haven 't there been several threads regarding windshield wiper motor as a replacement? Relying on a somewhat dubious memory function I believe they were BMW/Bosch 12V.
    Junkyard as a source.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What s so special about windshield-wiper motors?
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by John Koehrer View Post
    Haven 't there been several threads regarding windshield wiper motor as a replacement? Relying on a somewhat dubious memory function I believe they were BMW/Bosch 12V.
    Junkyard as a source.
    That is for the larger CPA & CPP machines. The CPE seems to be using a much smaller and weaker motor/gear assembly.
    www.gregorytdavis.com

Did millions of people suddenly disappear? This may have an answer.

"No one knows that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." -Matthew 24:36

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin