Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,522   Posts: 1,543,799   Online: 768

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Darkroom floor options?

I'm putting a darkroom in a room that has a 11x11ft hardwood floor and moulding. I need to cover it with something that's waterproof, non-permanent, and relatively affordable. I looked at linoleum yesterday that say it can be installed with a non-glue option. About $120 at lowes. I'm not sure how i'd hold it down on the edges. I could add a moulding strip i suppose.

What options for flooring am i missing?
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A sheet of 6 mil poly topped with those colourful two foot square stiff interlocking foam tiles for children's play areas.

Edit: The benefits are, easy on the feet, warm on the feet, washable, reusable, colourful, inexpensive. You can also get the drab grey ones for use in a garage.
    Last edited by Bob-D659; 05-29-2011 at 09:02 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Bob

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    ^^^^^^^^^^^
    What Bob said.

Those foam tiles are the best darkroom flooring I've ever used. I bought my boring charcoal grey ones at Costco.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I had those in my last darkroom but without the plastic. I had a few spills
    My only concern is the enlargers. I'd like to cover the entire floor with the same material but mushy stuff won't be good for enlargers and cabinets. Maybe plastic all over, then remove foam n certain areas.
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Shooter
    35mm
    I put down sticky vinyl tiles, but if you want something that will not harm the hardwood floor underneath you could use the foam interlocking panels or you could put down that laminate floating floor. Some of that stuff is really cheap and it just sits on the floor underneath; no glue.
    f/22 and be there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Go ahead and spend the money on the sheet vinyl and cut to fit. Then get some quarter-round moulding to hold the edges down. After that, I too recommend the foam interlocking tiles in the main work area. I have the brightly colored ones, my feet love me. FYI, the foam tiles can be rinsed off to keep clean. I take mine up once a month and mop the floor, rinse the squares and let air dry, reinstall.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Vinny: Do you really need to cover the entire floor, or can you get by with just the area around the sink to catch the occasional drip or oversplash with some rubber matting?
    Dan

web site: Dan Henderson, Photographer.com

blog: https://danhendersonphotographer.wordpress.com/

I am not anti-digital. I am pro-film.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin