Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,762   Posts: 1,516,132   Online: 838

Shooter
    35mm RF

Has anyone heard of Delta1 Datacube?

I've been trying to find these http://www.flickr.com/photos/mrdat/2035954115/ online without any luck. They seem to be a sort of bag-in-box (mylar in the usa I think) for chemicals.

I'm having a hard time finding that specific model (already contacted the flickr member above (got no response) and contacted Delta1 (no response..) or any other type of bag-in-box, those things seem to be sold only in industrial quanities...

I want it to store XTOL and some other liquids.
    Has anyone heard of it or knows where can I buy any sort of container like this (Mylar/bag-in-box)?

Thanks!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I was directed to a source by another APUGger:

http://www.survivalsolutions.com/sto...xandpouch.html

I mix the 5 liters of Xtol and put 1 liter in a bottle as working stock and the remaining 4 liters in one of these. Then I replenish from the water box. Ships flat and easy to put together. The valve works well and seals properly. I don't know if the Datacube is still available.

I don't know where you are, but I've heard that some Starbucks will sell an empty similar container, and I have picked up a similar one at Dunkin Donuts after convincing them that I wasn't going to sell something in it that I was pretending was their coffee. The survivalsolutions box is more suited to darkroom storage and use, as it can sit on a shelf with the valve placed properly for use. You have to tilt over the Dunkin Donuts box and pour, which is more likely to let air into the bladder.

Lee

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Thank you Lee!
    They don't seem to ship to Portugal though, I'll contact them and see if that can be arranged. These bags are so common in supermarkets.. one would think it would be easy to buy them...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have heard of people suffering though the boxed wine products, just to recover the box and bladder for darkroom use.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    http://www.porters.com/film-darkroom...ner-quart.html
    Is this what you are looking for. They are available in one quart and one gallon sizes. You can contact them for O.S. shipping
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum
    BTW: the big kid in my avatar is my hero, my son, who proudly serves us in the Navy. "SALUTE"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick A View Post
    http://www.porters.com/film-darkroom...ner-quart.html
    Is this what you are looking for. They are available in one quart and one gallon sizes. You can contact them for O.S. shipping
    I'm not certain, but these may be a stiffer polyethylene plastic that doesn't collapse as effectively as the thin mylar bladders for keeping air out. It's often referred to as a 'cubitainer'.

Lee

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have one for my print developer.The plastic is thick and does not collapse as much as thin plastic bags. But it doesn't allow any air through the plastic either. Some claim that the thinner plastic bags do. May not hurt some products but developer is sensitive to oxidation.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Cubitainers are pretty good - about as air permeable as most polyethylene plastic bottles. I think the bag-in-a-box wine containers are less permeable as they are made from metalized mylar.

You can buy the spigoted mylar bags, sans wine, for about $1 each.

The cubitaner bags can develop cracks in the corners without warning [ask me how I know this...]. Best to keep them in a big plastic storage tub or over a sink.

I now use Nalgene bottles for just about everything. Another very good container is the PET plastic Vodka jug - the pour spout is calibrated to dispense 10ml/second, great for HCA and other non-critical applications.
    Last edited by Nicholas Lindan; 06-02-2011 at 09:56 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Well it Delta1 answered and they say those cubes aren't produced since 1999

I'll look into those Nalgene bottles, I use them at my Uni's lab and they seem sturdy, but are they as reliable as glass in terms of Xtol keeping (thinking air permeability)?

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin