Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,689   Posts: 1,548,779   Online: 1260

Shooter
    Multi Format

Chem bottle top liners

As I get back into film and developing/printing, I was given some Falcon ChemStor plastic bottles. The cardboard liners in the caps (with plastic facing) have gone bad.

Is there a commonly available material that I could cut into circles and affix to the caps to make a good seal? (and the right kind of glue) Or should I just screw the lids on and hope they make a tight enough seal?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    How about jar opening rubbers? The cheap square ones.
    Piece of inner tube?
    vinyl beach ball, swimming pool.....you get the idea.=)
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I save the liners from other bottles. I find a lot use what looks like a think piece of closed foam. They seal well and don't fall apart when they get wet. If you cut them the right size, they might stay in on their own, otherwise try a dab of hot glue.
    "I only wanted Uncle Vern standing by his new car (a Hudson) on a clear day. I got him and the car. I also got a bit of Aunt Mary's laundry, and Beau Jack, the dog, peeing on a fence, and a row of potted tuberous begonias on the porch and 78 trees and a million pebbles in the driveway and more. It's a generous medium, photography." -- Lee Friedlander

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I always cut a piece of a lab material called Parafilm and put it over the mouth of the bottle before putting a cap on. This or even wax paper will ensure that there is a tight seal on the bottle and that you will not get any contamination from the liner of the cap. In a lot of cases the cap from the fixer may end up on the developer than can result in the contamination of the developer.

Gord

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    A couple layers of plastic kitchen wrap (Saran, etc.) works well for me.

Larry
    "A man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest"........Paul Simon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I replaced the card seals in a whole bunch of bottles recently with some neoprene gasket material. It cost me all of about $2 for enough to make around 10 seals. I think they should last a little while as well!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'll check the gasket material idea, hoffy; thanks!

In the meantime, it seems that the bare plastic bottle cap without the cardboard does screw all the way down and probably makes a good seal contact with the plastic bottle. I'll give that a try for at least the short run and see how it works.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin